Could it be parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayJay93

My beardie seems absolutely fine, eats LOADS, is relatively active, always alert, growing fast...
However, Alfie takes ages to get out of bed in the morning, has been acting a little grumpy recently and he's starting to get watery poo. Its not runny... but theres a lot of water with it... more so over the last two days. And it absolutely STINKS... It always has, but so much so it makes me heave :shock:. Surely this isn't right? Its also starting to linger even after its been cleaned up, not for long but its really really not nice.
How much do you think it would cost to get a fecal done (in England)?

Thanks for any help x

Tigg

Juvie Member
I am not really sure about your prices on a fecal test over there, but I would definitely say that one is in order. Occasional watery stool can sometimes just be from good hydration levels, But when they are accompanied with a foul smell it is usually signs of parasites.

Answering the following might help until you are able to get to the vet...

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I'm not sure about the fecal testing prices in England either but here (Maryland), it costs $30.

I agree that sometimes if there is lots of water around the poo, then it usually means they are well hydrated but if the poo smells way worse then normal, I would have a fecal done just to be on the safe side.

~Sandy

KayJay93

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? Coming up to 4 months
How long have you had your dragon? 3 months
How long is your dragon? 10 and a half inches from head to tail
What is the sex of your dragon? pretty sure he's a male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 3x2x2
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? just changed from bark chippings to tile
Do you use UVB lights? have been using Reptiglo.. waiting for the Arcadia to arrive
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? It was a coil.. waiting for tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Will be Arcadia 12
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? Around 10 inches away
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? spot light, just changed from 60 watt to 100 watt
What are the basking temps? around 105 degrees
What is the cool side temp? around 80 degrees
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? have a stick on thermometer, but do check it with a digital every now and then (checked it just the other day)
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? from his basking spot
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? crickets and dandelions
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? will eat his greens throughout the day, and feed him around evening time, at least 2 hours before he goes to bed
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes, with dandelions as well
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? use komodo calcium dust most days during the week and then Nutrobal over the weekend
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes, normally twice a day
Do you bath your dragon? How often? around twice or three times a week, but every day when shedding
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? has a water bowl in his viv, as well as his greens being misted
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? not yet

Tigg

Juvie Member
Everything sounds perfect!

A fecal test won't be too much, and it will find anything that may be going on inside your little guy.

Hey whereabout in the Uk are you? there is a brilliant rep vet in Loughborough would this be travelable?
Like everything prices can vary vet to vet but around £30.00 for testing of a fecal and consulatation regardng results would be a good guide from my experiences.
It is the best way to get a picture of exactly what could be casuing trouble in your little Amigo and is well worth the money, as with many things the less time a poss problem is left the lesser the time any possible parasite has to cause lasting damage!

We have ours done every six months or so, like a health check.

KayJay93

Original Poster
Not near there i don't think..
Found a few places near me, so that's ok :)
Although one place wanted to try and charge me 100 quid for just a checkup and fecal! Was like.. No thank you.
Found somewhere closer though that said 20 quid for consultation and 11 quid for fecal... which is much more affordable and also the local exotic pet shop recommended them, so think i'll try to make an appointment with them next week if i can :)

Thanks for the help! x

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
There have been a lot of folks all over the UK who have bought Reptaid for their dragons health situations. I just wonder if maybe you could ask on the Forum if there is someone there who has bought the Reptaid and might be willing to share with you. the might just be someone down the road a piece! You can read more about the effectiveness of Reptaid in the ForSale section of this forum. Hope things work out for you and your dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom