Coughing more frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwithenvy

I have a 7 year old male. I took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago because of a cough and mucus. They gave me injections for a respiratory infection and he's 7 shots in of 10.

All my knowledge of infections is based off of what I know about humans. I'm guessing that he should be getting better by now, but the last two nights I've picked him up and his coughing increases until he's settled down again and resting. I assume it's sinus fluid or mucus draining in his head and making him cough to clear it, just like we would do?

My issue is that I don't know whether coughing in a good sign (of the infection clearing) or a bad sign that his infection is getting worse. Here's a vid of the cough, in case it's relevant and this forum will allow it:

http://youtu.be/px1WYBT1V5w

He isn't bubbling saliva in the corners of his mouth like he was before. It doesn't look like there's as much mucus when he opens his mouth. He's eating, he's moving around, and seems generally happy other than the cough. I called my vet yesterday and they said to bring him in if it gets any worse (they're closed now and I'm not at the ER point yet.) Any thoughts? Am I just being a paranoid mom?

Thank you in advance!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Infections in reptiles can be slow to clear, reptile lungs are also quite different from mammals. An experienced vet should know how long their patients typically take to improve, I would ask them what the expected results are and what signs to worry about. I think typically RI have more to do with the lungs, rather than the nose, and the coughing/huffing is them trying to clear the lungs. When you handle him he probably will be breathing faster, and thus coughing more. ((As a note: the nose opens Into the mouth just behind the tip of the snout, not the throat like in humans)). I know at least in snakes that clearing the phlegm out can be a long process due to their physiology and lung structure.

How are you keeping his temperatures? Some folks see a benefit to increased night times during recovery.

It's great he is eating and that the mucus is improving. Poor guy, hope he feels better soon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My little guy is doing that too. Did the vet take x-rays of the lungs or gather a culture to see what kind of infection he has? After a culture was grown for my Dundee, it was determined that the antibiotics prescribed were appropriate for the bacteria found, but there was also a high amount of fungus. He's on anti-fungal medication now. The vet may also be able to determine if the infection is in the lungs or is isolated to the head by listening to the lungs. My guess is that it's probably worth taking a culture to get a better picture of what's going on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which medication is he on for the respiratory infection, since they are injections?
Respiratory infections can sometimes take awhile to clear up, I agree. They don't have cilia to help clear out their lungs with any debris. They do have a unique respiratory system.
If the mucous has improved & he is breathing better then it sounds like he is slowly improving. I am glad that he is eating also, he must be feeling better.
As suggested, try to keep the overnight temps around 80 to help boost his immune system right now. Are you keeping the humidity low to help out also?
If for some reason it just doesn't completely clear out, then a mouth swab or lung lavage could be a possibility for culturing.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

redwithenvy

Original Poster
Tracie:

Thanks for the help.

He's on Fortaz. We gave him a month's worth of shots. He was better temporarily and then started showing signs of getting sick again. We started a new month, which is the next step my vet suggested since it worked the first time. If he's still ill, we need to go in after we finish the second round of antibiotics.

I have been keeping the temperature higher, and he still isn't basking. I've never known why he doesn't, but he always searches out the coldest places. His favorite place to sleep when he's running around the house is the cold metal base of a lamp. Of all the beardies I've had, he is certainly unique. I have a feeling his aversion to basking has a lot to do with his resp. infection. At least the ambient temp in the enclosure is 80, so at least he gets some heat.

So now, we wait. If you have any other advice, I would welcome it. But mainly wanted to say thank you for your help/posts.

-Sharon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sharon,

I hope things are going well! :D
Have you thought about a nebulizer to treat his respiratory issues, it is pretty effective for stubborn problems.
I am sorry he isn't basking as much as he should be. It does sound like he has slown down some too but luckily he isn't completely down. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom