Convince the parents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind

Hatchling Member
Well I talked them into a superworm colony... Now it's time for the hard one, roaches.

I know everything I need to know, but I am still having trouble convincing them to let me start a roach colony. I think if they have something they can read where other people are confirming what I am saying it will help.

So... lets start out with how roaches are better than crickets (they don't have a problem with them). How they don't smell, make noise, ect.

Thanks in advance.

Glaedr

haha yea I have the same problem...

I think it would really help if they read how roaches are way better than crickets, not to mention a lot more cheaper when the

roach colony is stabled in a couple of months.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
I am assuming that you have all the info about breeding supers. one point is that it will be near 4-5 months til you have free supers. they take a while to grow.
another aspect to dubia is the escapees is zero with proper handling. crix hop all over the place and can infest your home. an escaped dubia will most likely die within a month or so

patrickb

Juvie Member
Well, I think you should do some searches in the forums for roaches (Dubia and Turkestan) and compile all of the posts you can to give a truly wide spectrum from many individuals on their opinions of roaches vs crickets. If your parents see the sheer number of people that love their roaches that alone might be enough for them to give them a chance.

But, what you asked for....

Crickets stink, they escape because they can jump quite high compared to their body size, they stink, they make lot's of noise, they stink, they live for a very short time and they stink. ;) Now to break down those aspects.

Escaping: crickets can jump high and fast. They may end up on your arm, in your face, on your shirt, or outside of the container. When you try to grab em, they jump again and make a beeline to the nearest dark hiding space in your room they can find. They will eat ANYTHING they can chew and that includes clothing and carpets. If you don't believe me, get a piece of scrap carpet and throw into a bin with 1k crickets. It will be falling apart in about a week. ;) Then they chirp and chirp and chirp all night long driving you insane. As soon as you get up and try to track down where they are, they go silent and wait patiently like a sniper in the jungle. As soon as you lay back down... chirp chirp chirp. The only good news if they escape is that they are very short lived. You will probably only have to deal with that one cricket chirping for about two weeks before it dies off. But then, you probably had more escape at that point and the cycle continues. Roaches (aside from a climbing species like Lobsters) just won't escape unless you do something stupid like knock the whole bin over on its side. They can't jump or fly (at least not the common feeder species) and thus their only means of escape is total user error while can be prevented completely. If one were to escape, then it would disappear into a dark spot like a cricket and stay there silent as can be and it would leave your clothing and carpets alone. Roaches are quite picky about what they eat contrary to popular belief. They also require consistently high temps above 80 and plenty of moisture and food to live and breed. Usually if one escapes, you will find it dead a few days later somewhere because the humidity wasn't high enough for it to survive.

Noise: I touched on this in the above paragraph, but that is only one cricket. With 1000 in a bin at a time, it's a heavy metal concert. Just constant chirps overlapping with seemingly no rhythm. And because the frequency of the chirps they produce is so high, the sound pierces through walls readily thus driving you insane even if they are on the other side of the house will all the doors inbetween closed. You will always hear em. Roaches, you won't hear, except for a slight "rain like" rustle when you first enter the room and they are disturbed. That sound you hear is strictly them scurrying into the eggcrates and ceases pretty quickly.

Stink: This is what crickets were put on this earth to do. Ok, not really, but you get the idea. Maintenance is critical to reduce the stench and must be performed daily, sweep out the poo and removing the dead bodies. If you don't remove the dead bodies, it causes a chain reaction of deaths due to the stink. The actual stench doesn't kill them (it might kill you though), but the gases being released that contributes to the stinking suffocates out the other crickets and then more bodies pile up and you get more stench. One bin of crickets can stink up an entire room easily. Roaches, they have a very slight odor depending on species, but usually it is barely noticeable with a few exceptions for certain species. You only have to clean the roach bins every 3-6 months roughly and they won't stink at all, certainly won't foul up an entire room like crickets will do after one week. I just cleaned out one bin of 3k roaches that hadn't been cleaned in 8 months. It started to smell a tad bit when I first took the lid off. I couldn't smell them in the room, only when I first opened the lid, so I figured I would give them a cleaning. I think some moisture got built up in their and soaked the frass (the poo) a bit because it was a bit like an ammonia type of smell. There weren't very many dead ones at all, which we go to now...

Life Cycle: Crickets live for roughly 2 months total. This can be altered slightly by temperatures, but 2 months is the basic time frame from the day they hatch to the day they keel over and start stinking to the 3rd degree. About 6 weeks from hatching, they start maturing into adults. They already stink at this point a lot! But now they can make noise too! So not only do you deal with them stinking for another two weeks, you also have to listen to them! Not fun. A short life cycle may not seem like a big deal, but it really is. For one, they have a higher metabolism than roaches and will eat up more food in the same amount of time as a roach, which means it takes more to keep em alive. They grow and die so fast, you usually have to buy extra (or breed lots of extras if you breed them) in order to make sure you have enough to use as feeders. Ultimately a lot of them go to waste and die off before you use them, unless you buy small amounts, but then that means a lot of frequent online orders which costs lots of money in shipping, or many trips to the petstore which costs gas. It's a hidden cost of the feeders people don't think about. Most roach species live for anywhere from 12-24months (18 is about the average) They grow slower and eat a smaller amount of food than crickets during the same time period, thus less is used to keep them alive and breed em. Since they aren't always dieing off in large batches, there aren't many dead bodies to decay and cause the stink. When you want efficiency, roaches are the way to go. Since roaches eat less, we can use less plastic bags from dog food, produce etc... and help to save the environment at the same time! :D

Most people are reluctant to acquire roaches because of the fear and misinformation that society in general has taught. We are born and bred to believe that roaches are carriers of disease and are filthy nasty little critters. Ever seen how much a cat grooms itself? Roaches put cats to shame, they are very clean insects. But you would only be able to observe this if you had them to start with. There are some pest species known to track through waste and then into contact with human food sources that can spread disease, but pest roach species are about 1% of the total number of roach species on this planet. Only a handful of them are actual pests. The roaches you would use as a feeder are tropical species that require very specific conditions in order to live and more importantly breed. My favorite saying to date seems to be "Unless you live in a mud hut in the middle of South America, these roaches will not infest your house"

I bid unto you, search the forums and compile together the previous posts outlining the benefits of roaches over crickets. They are still even more benefits than I listed, but if I keep going, this will turn into a full set of encyclopedias. If your parents have more specific concerns that no previous posts address, then feel free to ask the questions here on these forums. There are a lot of us members here that breed roaches and a couple that do it as a business, so plenty of knowledge to go around. If all else fails, get 1000 crickets, place them in a bin, feed/water them, then leave them be for two weeks. After that, ask your parents to open the lid to that bin themselves, the stink should help convince them. ;)

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
I was asked by a couple of my customers the same question that's probably got your parents worried. "Will roaches infest my home if one escapes?" So instead of posing this question to one of my peers I found an entomologist and asked them instead.

They told me this (and I'm assuming that Blaptica Dubia is the species you plan on keeping). There are thousands of species of roaches on this planet many still are yet to be discovered. About 12 species are considered "pests" to human beings which all come from Germany or Asia. That's less than 1%! Blaptica Dubia (The Guyana Orange Spotted Roach) is a tropical roach. They can't climb smooth surfaces and cannot fly even though the adult males have fully developed wings. They don't bite & they are not poisonous. In order to keep these particular roaches you need specific temperatures and humidity for them to thrive. With the exception of some certain parts in Southern Florida it is impossible for an escaped Blaptica Dubia to survive for very long anywhere in North America. This has to do because they need a constant source of water, food, and an environment that has constant temps above 82 degrees. Even under a fridge or next to a furnace they still wouldn't get that kind of heat.

Another interesting fact that was told to me was that other than the 12 species of roach that are pests. Roaches don't spread disease like rats & mice. AND that a freshly washed human being right out of the shower has more germs and bacteria on them than the common cockroach.

Go ahead and put that one in your pipe and smoke it!

I personally love roaches and honestly they are so much less work than crickets and meal worms. PLUS ... This ones for my bud Patrick... THEY DON'T STINK! I have a TON of them and if you walked into the room they live in you'd couldn't smell them or hear them.

-Ian

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Wow after that outstanding post by Patrick and ihaggerty there is nothing left for anyone to put any info out there for you, great job guys loved the post.
I would print out the two above post’s along with a few others from different locations and website and present them in a nice neat stack for them. This will one give them all the info they will needed, not to mention if you did this it might impress them that you have taken the time to research all the info yourself. I know if my child came to me with a stack of info I would be very impressed that he took the time to really look into, I would only be compelled to go over the info h brought to me.
Good luck buddy

Blind

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow, thank you a lot Patrick and Ihaggerty for the great info. That will help me A LOT.

Thinker

Thanks, Blind, for asking the question - and to the excellent responders. This thread will help put my wife's mind at ease.

Dan

clear

Sub-Adult Member
What part of nc are you from? If you are close enough to me you can pick some up and show them they are not as bad as they think they are.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Glad we could be of help to you two! As always, if you have more questions concerns, many of us are here to help.

Blind

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol... Nah, but I think I cracked my mom. She just wont tell me that shes okay with it yet. She did the same thing with the supers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom