Convert something commercially available into a viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiggy

Hi all. I am slowly gathering the supplies needed for beardie ownership. It would be preferable for me to not use a standard aquarium tank. I see all these nice builds everyone is doing and would like something similar, however I am no craftsman and don't have the room or resources to build something from scratch.

I've been looking for something commercially available that I could convert into a Viv with a little effort. Some sort of cabinet or something. I've looked through the local Home Depot but haven't found too much. I will check out a Lowes soon. I can install a glass front (plexi-glass OK?). I want to use a 36"-48" tube fixture for uvb mounted to the top inside. I have a reptile heat lamp and bulb for the setup already.

Any suggestions and help appreciated!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
sounds like you have a good plan.
check you local craigs list for objects.
I saw an old tv made into a viv.
Plexi is fine.
Stay away from PINE wood.It emits fumes when heated

LJean

Extreme Poster
I turned a glass jewelry case into a viv. I too spent time looking through stores to see what furniture could be converted. It seemed it was hard to find something that was wide/deep? enough in the cabinet departments.

Good luck with your search!

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
definitely watch craigslist, i got 2 entertainment centers, glass display case and a 7 foot tall metal shelf unit off cl that i turned into cages. most were free but the one et center was only like 15 bucks.

yeah... go search some dumpsters and get creative... what i wanted was lightweight and durable..

plexiglass to me is not hard enough and get scratched much easier and get dull.. my opinion.. because my dragon will dig and scratch at the glass along with the rocks i created...

stiggy

Original Poster
Thank for the replies. I was hoping it would be simple. The more I look at it the more I think I am going to get a 40 gal breeder.

Seven65

Juvie Member
I used a commercial restaurant dessert display case, just cut out some air vents and put a piece of plywood over a broken sliding window in the back. I also hard wired everything into it and tiled the floor but that's not necessary, it would have been a real quick job otherwise. All in all it's a nice piece of furniture, solid oak. Probably would have been worth something if I didn't fill it full of holes. : P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom