Container for Supers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Was it a bag with newspaper? Oops lol just saw the earlier post.

I just dump it all into my bins and then slowly unfolded the newspaper to remove the supers clinging to it haha. You get a knack for it after a few times lol.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":216v0os5 said:
Was it a bag with newspaper? Oops lol just saw the earlier post.

I just dump it all into my bins and then slowly unfolded the newspaper to remove the supers clinging to it haha. You get a knack for it after a few times lol.

-Brandon
It actually was so much easier that I expected. For some reason, thought they would really hang on. ? Nope. Dumped it all in bucket. Took out each piece slowly, shook a little, checked to make sure none left on the paper, easy peasy! Even counted 100 to see how it looked beside the 400 left. I think I got good count and fat, active Supers. ?
Thanks hon!
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup, I've always been happy with their supers. Glad it was easy, it really is :)

Petey should be enjoying some nice pump superes for months to come now.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":2xminfr3 said:
Yup, I've always been happy with their supers. Glad it was easy, it really is :)

Petey should be enjoying some nice pump superes for months to come now.

-Brandon
Yeah for some reason I thought was gonna be a major hassle. It was nothing. ?
At about 60 a month with what he already had, he should be good for about 9 months+. ?
Works for me!
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Late to the party, but my method is similar--for both supers & dubias.
I have a large sterilite bin that I put the feeder pkg. into, open, then dump feeders into for sorting & re-homing.
500 supers is what I got; most are in a half-gallon sherbet tub, so 2 of those tubs should hold everybody.

The same (2 half-gallon sherbet tubs) works for 1000 dubias.

For the supers, I keep the oatmeal 2½" from the top of the tub so they won't eat/enlarge the air holes (no holes in sides of containers).

For dubias, egg crate doesn't fit well in the sherbet tubs, so I use TP & PT tubes cut to size & placed vertically in the tubs--as many as will comfortably fit. These can also work like cricket tubes. I pull one out, hold it vertically over Z's bowl, and sharply rap on the side until the right amount falls into the bowl.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2ddy17lb said:
Late to the party, but my method is similar--for both supers & dubias.
I have a large sterilite bin that I put the feeder pkg. into, open, then dump feeders into for sorting & re-homing.
500 supers is what I got; most are in a half-gallon sherbet tub, so 2 of those tubs should hold everybody.

The same (2 half-gallon sherbet tubs) works for 1000 dubias.

For the supers, I keep the oatmeal 2½" from the top of the tub so they won't eat/enlarge the air holes (no holes in sides of containers).

For dubias, egg crate doesn't fit well in the sherbet tubs, so I use TP & PT tubes cut to size & placed vertically in the tubs--as many as will comfortably fit. These can also work like cricket tubes. I pull one out, hold it vertically over Z's bowl, and sharply rap on the side until the right amount falls into the bowl.

I put a half of a large container of oats on top of the 500+ (about 4 inches deep) then added the worms and oats from the smaller container. Along with some shredded brown paper. Added 4 large chunks of carrot. Figured the new ones had been dry a couple days. Petey will get some today. ? The bucket with everything in it, is less than half full so I won't need a lid or risk them getting out. They're a good 8 inches from the top. ? And no worry about cats, worm bucket is in the guest bath. No cats allowed in guest bedroom and bath. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":2s8vdac4 said:
The bucket with everything in it, is less than half full so I won't need a lid or risk them getting out. They're a good 8 inches from the top.
I... wouldn't make that assumption--yet. Somehow, mine are still getting out, and I'm finding them in odd places in the room. I mentioned I have found them under the rims of containers, so somehow they have the ability to climb the plastic (unlike dubias).

Might be best to cover them with something until you know for sure.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":299oh31u said:
DragonPete":299oh31u said:
The bucket with everything in it, is less than half full so I won't need a lid or risk them getting out. They're a good 8 inches from the top.
I... wouldn't make that assumption--yet. Somehow, mine are still getting out, and I'm finding them in odd places in the room. I mentioned I have found them under the rims of containers, so somehow they have the ability to climb the plastic (unlike dubias).

Might be best to cover them with something until you know for sure.

I sure hope not! ? They have about 5 inches of oats and 3 inches of shredded paper, which I make sure is not sticking up and still have 8 inches to the top. That would be measuring from the uppermost piece of paper. If they get out of that then I have SUPER Supers! ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom