constantine not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindaisy

I adopted a three year old bearded dragon who has not really eaten anything since I got him and I am at my wits end. Everyday I give him food but he just will lick at it and stare. When I got him his previous owner said he probably would not eat for a week. It has been almost two weeks and all he has eaten is one superworm one butterworm and a serving of green beens by his previous owner the day I got him. I drip water on his nose and he drinks it also he will take a bath he just does not want any food. When should I worry? I do not think that he is brumating. I just do not know what to do but I do not want him to die from not eating. Please help

1DRAGON

Hello smokindaisy. Congrats on your new adoption. You made a wise choice. I'm not an expert, but have over 2 years with my Rex. I do have a few thoughts on your situation. Are you-up-to date on caring for beardies? They are sensitive creatures. The literature I have read indicates caring for older beardies is easier. They are not as fragile as a juvenile, but are very intelligent. I wonder if Constatine may be suffering from seperation anxiety. I know it sounds funny, but don't laugh. They do recognize their owners after a while. They may act like a puppy wanting to play when they see you walk into the room, as my Rex does. Is Constatine in the same enclosure? If so, it should help in the transition. It is EXTREMELY important for the basking temp to be correct. It aids in the digestion of the foods. Also, as they get older they eat less often. Just be patient and try a variety of foods. Crickets are a favorite. The thrill of the chase tends to stimulate them into eating. They are an excellent source of needed proteins. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom