Constant Gaping (Time for a vet appt.?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan118

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that Carth tends to gape a lot more than normal. He does it a lot (more than usual) when he is basking, and gapes off and on when he wanders around my room. I was wondering if I should be concerned about a respiratory infection, or if maybe it is something else?

The temp in my room is usually around 80 degrees, same as the cool side of his tank. The warm side is an average of 95 degrees.

Thanks!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Do you hear any wheezing or heavy breathing ?
If not, than what you are seeing is quite normal. However, should you be concerned, a fecal always will lay arest any worries. Though I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Hope this helped !
Janie.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Hello,

Gaping when basking is a beardie's way of cooling off, since they cannot sweat like we do. Every beardie does it, and I take it as a sign that the temps. are just right for them. But, if you're still concerned or it doesn't seem quite normal, I'd get Carth checked just for reassurance.

-- Jacqui

Ethan118

Original Poster
Hmmm... I haven't heard any heavy breathing, but sometimes he makes funny noises when I stop him from doing something (like, he goes to jump off my arm and I grab him, he kind of wheezes). I think that's just his way of venting frustration, or maybe he gets the wind knocked out of him :) .

Pleaides

Juvie Member
the sound your hearing when you grab him is him probably giving a little hiss, my Mischief does this also, if hes having his run on our upstairs landing then i decide its time to go home, when i pick him up he kinda like wheeze but its him giving a little hiss cos he dont want to go home just yet, lol, he likes to stcratch also at these times too.
:)

Lennifer

Juvie Member
If he is gaping when he's not even under his basking light or not even in his enclosure...I would take him in for a check up just to be on the safe side. Gaping is totally normal but they usually do this while under their basking light to cool off. Hmm?

~Sandy

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh i completely agree with sandy, it is normal for them to gape under basking lights or even in their warm or cool end to cool off but if its near enough constantly or a lot more than usual then yes a vet appointment would be in need.
keep us posted on him!

Ethan118

Original Poster
I have a feeling that it could also be the temperature in my room. It gets REALLY hot in here sometimes (for some reason the AC doesn't work in here), and that could be a cause. I have been watching him, and he doesn't gape in the morning when it is much cooler. But, once it starts to heat up... Hmmm, I'll keep an eye on him today.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
what are his actual temperatures inside his home up the cool and warm end and basking area?
even if your room is hot it shouldnt affect the temperaures inside his home, is his heat on a thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom