Constant black beard....

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmybd

Juvie Member
He's 10 months old, eats well, poops everyday, temps are all correct. I've had two other dragons that lived for 7 and 8 years. I bought him when he was 4 months old and his beard changed approximately three months later. There was a male dragon in a cage above, but it was not in his sight.

The exotic vet couldn't find out why his beard is always black (and end of his tail). He had pinworms and received an oral dewormer.

I called a few different breeders and was told he wants to breed and the black beard is hormonal. I understand the truth is they only have an urge to mate by pheromones and since there are no female dragons this is not the answer.

Has anyone had similar experience or have an idea the cause and cure?

Thank You

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's true that they will often black beard during the spring for mating season. It usually comes along with relatively aggressive behavior, beard flaring, and head bobbing. If your guy is black bearding for an extended period of time and is acting more lethargic than normal I'd be concerned. Has he lost any weight? Which tests did the vet perform during his visit? I don't think pinworms would cause a serious issue unless the count was extremely high. Which dewormer did he receive? Most of the new ones like Panacur are relatively mild.

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He doesn't head bob at all.
Not sure which oral dewormer was used. The vet also said the pin worms aren't a cause.
The vets examination included touching parts of his body and a look in his mouth. The exam was normal.
What other tests should be considered?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may be worth having a blood test done to check to see if his organs are functioning properly. Might be worth discussing that with your vet.

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've known this vet for 8 years and he always suggests any test that might be helpful.

He has a big appetite eating dusted crickets, arugula, and squash. Blueberries and Superworms as treats. He runs for those Supers.

His weight is good.

After I handle him for a while, he'll hiss when I put him back in his viv. The vet also noticed he hissed once while being examined.

Although he's 18.5", he's built like a bull.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If his appetite is up and his weight is good then everything might be fine and he is just hopped up on hormones. 3 months seems like a long time to have a constant black beard though. I'd keep a log of his weight. If it starts to trend downward that may be a sign of something more serious going on.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Might be just that he's become a stroppy teenage boy and he's developed an attitude.

I think , not an expert opinion here , that there's really nothing wrong with him other than being at an awkward age and he'll be perfectly OK in month or two once his hormones settle and you'll find you'll have a nice snuggly laid boy.

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2dm5b3bg said:
Might be just that he's become a stroppy teenage boy and he's developed an attitude.

I think , not an expert opinion here , that there's really nothing wrong with him other than being at an awkward age and he'll be perfectly OK in month or two once his hormones settle and you'll find you'll have a nice snuggly laid boy.

I hope so.

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Btw, from the vets experience, he sees more health issues from morphs from trans.
These dragons eyes are almost all black/dark.
I will never buy one again.
Anyone know of a reputable breeder that does not sell dragons that have been imbred, such as the trans?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, they can many times sport constant black beards during mating season or just knowing another male is around.
Which probiotics did you use for him?
I am so sorry for your loss...?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom