Consistant information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleFly

Hatchling Member
Throughout my time of researching beardies I have always been given different information from all over the place. I have always taken final advice from the community on this site, and have never had any reason to doubt it, why would I.

I was in a pet shop today and all of their reptiles were very healthy looking, very active, bright and running around. I have never seen anything like it, and it made me doubt Vicco's inactivness.

I will start with my setup:
4x2x2 wooden viv, Reptisun 10.0 20" away, Powersun 100W 13" from animal, washed play sand as substrate. 98f hot side which I am trying to raise.

What the store owner said was wrong with my setup:
Too much UV for a beardie, they use 12% with a 2% topup bulb, my strip is 10% alone. He also pointed me towards the Powersun manual which says it should be minimum 18" from ground and 12" from animal. He also said he would not recommend a Powersun for a beardie because it cannot be regulated with a thermostat.

Their setup, showed on a care sheet they wrote:
UV strip with a heat bulb on a thermostat regular at 105f at the hot side. Thermostat goes in the middle 2" off the ground and is set to 90f, it will work out right, apparently.

I am very tempted to sell the powersun and mimic their suggested setup. Like I said their beardies were so healthy and active where as I still struggle getting Vicco to eat greens.

Thoughts, anyone?

P5310019.jpg

EDIT:

I have had this new setup for 2 days now, I noticed he had one or both eyes shut when in the viv and lay flat but still chose to bask. I took him out and he perked up within 5 minutes with both eyes always open. I am going to swap the bulb for a household one and see if he stops that.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Im not sure about the powersun, i have been reading alot of people had issues with a batch causing eye probs etc.

The UVB thoughm 20" is too far away, although the reptisun is active up to a distance of 20", it is recommended the dragon can get 6-8" from it. I personally use a 12% UVB alone and have no problems with being too lethargic (quite the opposit really)

I would see how the household bulb goes. I am sure that a powersun AND a strip would be too much UVB, i thought it was one or the other.

I used to use the thermostat in the manner the recommend, but found when it got hot, the ambiant temp increases, so it turns the basking bulb down, so i was only getting a basking temp of 92!! I think i will save it for the ceramic heat emitter! lol

How is it going today?

CycleFly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thankyou for the reply. Thanks for the experience advice on thermostats too.

Since writing that post (10 minutes ago) I have had him out and he is walking and exploring around the floor and being active. Going to remove the powersun.

I was originally advised on the powersun and reptisun in [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=75252 f=45 ] thread i seem to remember. I must say it is hard to know what is right because everybody is successful in different ways.

I just want him to eat properly so desperately, although he is healthy looking I know it can be deceiving.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Hi There!

My response will not be a lengthy one, just long enough to answer your question:

You should only use one or the other. If you are using the Reptisun, then you will need an additional heat source because this is only emitting UVB's. The Powersun is an "all in one", so by using it you do not need to add anything else unless you are unable to attain proper basking temp, in which case you would just add another small wattage heat bulb. By having the two together, you are emitting too many UVBs and this is likely the cause of your beardie closing it's eyes. MVB's are powerful on their own, to add additional UVB's into the mix is doing more harm than good. Depending on when you purchased you Powersun, you may not have one of the bad ones. Just be sure if you keep the Reptisun in the enclosure, you will need to get a basking light for heat as well. :D

CycleFly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am going to keep the Reptisun I reckon. I purchased the Powersun 4 weeks ago from livefood.com.

Thankyou for the reply Nero. I knew most of that about the bulbs, I was just not aware you could OD on UV lol 8)

I am also going to move his UV strip towards the back of the viv, that way he can use the shelves to get within 6" to the UV. Zoomed quote the bulb is effective up to 20" so I am happy with that.

Turned the Powersun off, waiting for it to cool. Will post progress if anyone is interested.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, ive just noticed you are in leeds too! small world! where abouts??

Yes it would be nice to know hoe it goes!

CycleFly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey Buggsy.

Just moved into a house in Harehills. Lived in Opal 3 Student Halls last year and had to leave Vicco with my brother at home. Only just got him up to Leeds yesterday.

How about you?

Pootie

I got my beardie about a month ago, and had bought a 100W Powersun MVB a few days before, so about 4 weeks ago. My little guy was getting lazier and lazier every day and it did get to the point where it seemed like he could only keep one eye open at a time. It wouldn't always be the same eye, he would switch. I browsed around on the forums and narrowed it down to probably being the Powersun, so I ordered a 100W T-Rex just to kind of test it out. I noticed quite a difference the first day that he was under the T-Rex, and by the 2nd and 3rd day, he was super hyper and eating a ton like a little guy should be.

I know the bulb isn't always the case, but it's worth a shot! I don't have any experience with the tube, but it sounds like you have it under control. I just thought I'd share my similar story! :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom