Considering First Time Beardie Rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, this is the first post I've made on this forum so far. My name's Megan, and I've been lurking for some time. You guys have definitely made me fall in love with your beardies and the stories, and I've done my homework and decided that I want one. I've read a few hatchling and rescue stories, and la de da. I decided to post a an ad on craig's list last night, and I surprisingly got a few responses within the hour. One was from a breeder, and the other was from a lady that said she just doesn't have the time to deal with hers anymore. She says it's the most unfriendly and nastiest dragon she's ever had, and that I could have it for free. That caught my attention, not because of the free part, but because of the unfriendly part. From what I've been reading and concluded from everything so far, something's had to have gone wrong for her to by unfriendly and nasty...right? I talked to her earlier on the phone about the dragon.

She's 4 years old, and hasn't been handled that often. Her mother saw them on t.v. and decided that she wanted one, so...she got one. She's an elderly lady, so I would assume that she didn't talk to it much or cuddle or anything. She finally gave it to her daughter, (the lady I'm talking to now) two years ago. She claims she has 15 years of reptile experience, and she used to breed bearded dragons, but really couldn't seem to get rid of this one because of her nasty nature. The dragon was kept in an exhibit with a few other beardies apparently, and she had half of her tail bit off about two years ago. She said that instead of really fighting back, she just froze when she was around the others instead of being an aggressor, so she got bullied a bit. I'm not sure if much of this could really be the cause of her unfriendly/nasty nature, so I was going to ask what you all think.

One thing, though, I'm quite sure that probably has something to do with it. I asked her about the exhibit and lighting, and a few other things... She said that she didn't have any UVA or UVB lights right now, and she was just using regular light bulbs in the exhibit. :| I don't have any experience with beardies or reptiles first hand...but I'm pretty sure this HAS to be some cause with her nature. Am I making a wrong assumption? She said that they really don't need 12 hours of UVB lighting everyday, that it was just a sales gimmick.

She sent me a few pictures of her, if anyone would like to see them. I really want to take her on, because even though this would be my first experience with a beardie, I think I could give her a better home.

She also said she doesn't have any medical problems and hasn't in the past, but I'm not sure if I should believe this or whatnot.

Feedback, please?

mitternachtvogel

Original Poster
Here are the pictures. She took them while I was on the phone with her.

2wcmoh4.jpg

2m2te9g.jpg

30m8hz6.jpg

barbi1655

Well I'm a sucker for a mistreated animal......

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100762&hilit=

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102706&hilit=

This 'breeder' sure doesn't seem reputable or too responsible if she does not have the proper set up or lights for her and allowed her to get beat up by the others....

This girl may very well come around. Frank was not the least bit happy when I got him. I was told he was very tame, when in fact he was just too cold and stressed to care. He hissed at me a couple times. When I did have to pick him up, it was often by having to chase him down. It was awful for both of us. He does allow it now and does not run from me anymore, but it's something he tolerates, not likes. So I let him be. We still interact, but I only handle him when necessary and we're both happy. :)

James is super social. He seems to be happy to see me. He stops what he's doing and looks at me. He'll also hop down from his basking branch if I'm messing with stuff in his tank.

I like them both equally still. Frank for the crabbybutt that he is and James for being Mr. Social. :)

I'd take her, if anything, just to be sure she was taken care of properly.

Barb

mitternachtvogel

Original Poster
Does she look as if she has anything wrong with her, though?

I'm a bit skeptical about this, because this will be a first, and I'm going to be beyond devastated if I mess something up.

I want to, want, want, WANT to take her in because I know she'll be taken better care of, even though this will be my first time.

barbi1655

She seems to look ok, but I am absolutely no expert at all. She seems very alert, not too thin, and her color looks good. Just by the pictures I would not be concerned about any major health issues. But again, I am no expert. :)

Barb

barbi1655

There are some posts on here, maybe in Behavior, that show amazing results with aggressive beardies. Possibly search for the word aggressive?

Barb

mitternachtvogel

Original Poster
I went to see her today... Unfriendly and nasty was an underestimate.

She turned black as soon as the lady picked her up, and was making noises at me when I held her. o_o;

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
She's probably just not used to being held. A nasty beardie is an oxymoron! I believe there's a very good chance that you could tame her up and actually get her friendly.

mitternachtvogel

Original Poster
Any suggestions? I posted something in behavior.

Help very appreciated. :)

I'm a first time owner, so yeah. D:
Kind of nervous and worried and anxious.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Well, I'd start slow. Start by just sitting with your hand in her viv and let her investigate if she wants. Don't try to pick her up just yet. Take a t-shirt that you've slept in and put it in her viv for her to sleep on/in - this will get her used to your scent. Whenever she opens up her mouth at you, pop a piece of greens or veggies in there... she will begin to associate you with food and good things. Once she starts getting more comfortable, slide your hand underneath her from the front... don't come from above or behind, as this will scare her. You can wrap her up in a towel or in the aforementioned t-shirt just before bedtime and let her fall asleep wrapped up toasty and warm, on your chest. Once she figures out that you're not going to hurt her, she'll come around pretty quickly I bet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom