Considering a 48x18x24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Hello all,

I'm considering downgrading Phoenix's viv- he has a custom build 4x2x2. As you all know beardies are lazy and he doesnt even come close to utilizing all of this room. As such I'm considering going down to a 48x18x24. He has been in my custom enclosure for many years now so I'm trying to do a lot of research before I make any moves.

Questions

Lighting: with the 48x18x24 size- what size basking bulb would provide a good basking spot but not generate too much heat in the entirety of the enclosure?

Current set up:

4fx2fx2f
160w Powersun mercury bulb (negative comments aren't needed, this is what works for him)
with using this wattage in this size enclosure the cool side is 79 (it took a lot of vents to get this lol)and the hotest side is 104. he usually chills around 84 and will bask of course.

thoughts/comments are needed please and thank you!

if anyone feels this is too small i would also like to hear that from you as well, or if you think the 48x18x24 is an appropriate size let me hear it people!!

xoxo

Phoenix's mommy

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Personally I wouldn't go smaller than 4x2x2, unless your trying to gain some room in your home I don't think the 6" is worth giving up. Pepper spends a lot of time in one spot, but he uses every bit of his cage - to the point I've considered building him a bigger one.

The 6" also won't make much difference in your heating setup, I wouldn't think unless you are changing the configuration of the lights or changing enclosure materials (say from wood to pvc).

Do you only have the one light? Where it me I would look at upgrading the lights rather than downgrading the tank.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":1tu6t5rx said:
Personally I wouldn't go smaller than 4x2x2, unless your trying to gain some room in your home I don't think the 6" is worth giving up. Pepper spends a lot of time in one spot, but he uses every bit of his cage - to the point I've considered building him a bigger one.

The 6" also won't make much difference in your heating setup, I wouldn't think unless you are changing the configuration of the lights or changing enclosure materials (say from wood to pvc).

Do you only have the one light? Where it me I would look at upgrading the lights rather than downgrading the tank.

all great points... i have recently had to relocate and am back in an apartment :? so yes room is an issue for me ... sorry forgot to poin that out.

yes I only use one light and its the Powersun MVB 160w

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's unfortunate about the apartment space. Have you made a template if the 18" width to see if it will make a difference to you?

I would consider adding more light, regardless of if you downsize the cage. These critters are from very bright habitats, if the light is not providing the brightness your dragon needs it could be contributing to the laziness. I've never used a powersun so I don't know how much light they throw out but for my cage/situation just one basking bulb (no matter the type) isn't enough and the directional bulbs (like floods or MVB) are even gloomier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom