Conflicting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
How come theres so much conflicting advice re temps?

Ive read a couple care sheets today and they all say different some say basking spot of 32c to 37 some say 36c to 40. Im totally confused.

Im finding it difficult to regulate Fuzzys temp as my living room heats up in the afternoon. Think ill need to invest in a thermostat.

Would still be good to know what the correct temps should be though.

I did read today that Rankins like it slightly cooler than beardies but then someobe else said Rankins baskin spots can be up to 42c

Am i ever gonna get this right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think there is conflicting advice partly because we're all still learning what they need/want and partly because their natural habitat covers such a large area and variety of environments that there isn't a single right setup. I think the numbers given (mine included) are just general guidelines. The key is to provide a range and a variety so they can move around and get what they need at a given time. We're trying to boil down a very large environment into a small, static, captive environment which is difficult so we go with a best median guess. I think you're doing a fine job so far based on what I've read.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is alert and curious and has a good appetite he is probably a happy camper. If you're having trouble keeping the temperatures relatively consistent you may want to consider a programmable dimming thermostat which can keep the lights within a set range by dimming them as needed. Keep in mind that the temps will fluctuate during the day and by season in their natural habitat too so if there is a cool area to hide in when the temps go up he will probably go there and it's OK. From what I know they bask during the morning and late afternoon and hide during the highest temps in the middle of the day.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He is alert an does feed well plus he poops everyday so hopefully hes happy. Its just is so scary havin to guess that hes getting enough uvb an weather hes hot or cold enough x

Im hoping it gets less stressful as time goes on x

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll always fuss over him. The anxiety is part of owning them. It gets easier once you have a routine down and you'll get more in tune with his expressions and have a better idea of if he's content or not.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think its harder cos im out at work from 9 till 4 an i cant see what hes up to lol.

I do come home at lunch time to feed an check on him. Its like havin another baby lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hooked up a webcam next to my enclosure so I can check on Darwin while I'm at work or away. It helps a bit to be able to poke in from my phone and see what he's up to.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a fun idea, then you can check on him any time. :D
As long as there is a good range of temperatures, then he can choose where he wants to bask & should thermoregulate. If he has a cool side he should be just fine.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom