Concerns about my new beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dessar

• So, we'll get straight to the point. On Wednesday morning of this week, I received my baby beardie - my first beardie ever - in the mail from LLLreptile.com. Abiding by the papers that were tucked in the package, I put her in her home and refrained from feeding her for two hours while she adjusted some. Later that day, after the two hours were up, I carefully attempted feeding her - seeing as the pet store wouldn't have my crickets until later that day, I had to offer her meal worms, which she only ate one of. Acknowledging she was still probably nervous, I tried to feed her a cricket around dinner time, yet even after a solid 10 minutes she didn't so much as touch it.

Yesterday, she ate nothing, nor as she eaten anything today so far. I even offered her Phoenix Worms, but nothing. I'm positive she sees the feeders, but doesn't seem interested in actually eating them. Yet other than her lack of appetite, she seems quite normal - she regularly basks at a temperature of 102 degrees Fahrenheit (measured with a digital thermometer w/ probes), looks at her surroundings with curiosity, actively scurries around her cage, has pooped at least once all three days (no, it wasn't runny), and is beginning to shed. I have her on non-adhesive black shelf liner, and am using a brand-new ReptiSun 10.0 tube as her UVB source. Also, I don't use any sort of heated rock, because I know those can scorch your dragon's underside.

Yesterday, I gave Karma a bath in shallow, warm water (following the whole 'as hot as you would make it for a baby' rule) to make sure she got her hydration, and I have also been occasionally dripping a speck on water onto her nose for her to lick off. I always make sure to handle her gently and without any sudden, jerky movements, and am positive I've been the only one of the household to handle her (she is currently set up in my bedroom, on one of my large tables; my family knows not to bother her, and I always keep my door closed so that my cat can't so much as glance at her).

So, I ask you, am I doing everything right? Is her lack of appetite due to simple nervousness in her new home, or should I be concerned? Thank you for any responses~

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a brand new beardie owner you seem to be doing everything perfect! great job!! :blob5: :D :blob8:

You shuoldn't be worried about your beardie not eating because of what details you have provided us, it is probably because of one or two things. First, it could be relocation stress, some beardies don't have much of an appetite for days after a move like that. Second, its beecause your beardie is shedding. Alot of beardies lose their appetite when shedding so its not anything to be worried about. Just keep soaking your beardie in warm-to-the-touch water for around 15 minutes each day, this will help your beardie shed faster and hopefully make the appetite come back faster. :mrgreen:

Dessar

Original Poster

• Ah, well, I owe all my beardie knowledge to the people here at BeardedDragon.org! I made sure I learned everything I could from people with first-hand experience before buying Karma, since I've always been rather skeptical of what pet stores recommend (and to think they told me to put her on that calci-sand stuff, bah). :silent:

Well, LLLReptile is located in California, so I guess that is quite a move for such a little creature. Also, until I read your post, I totally forgot about shedding sometimes resulting in loss of appetite. Hm. Thank you for your response, I feel much better now that I know it isn't something I'm doing~ I plan to give her another bath tonight, and will keep offering her food throughout the day; perhaps she'll finally accept it soon.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like your doing everything right....Good Job!Shes probly just a wee bit stressed from the move.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Probably Just relocation stress. You seem to be doing what you should be. Just be patient. Its real easy to start secons guessing what you do.

Dessar

Original Poster

• Yes, well, just before her bath (about thirty minutes ago), I decided to offer her some Phoenix Worms - to my delight, she scarfed down two, but wasn't interested in eating any more. The shedding on her tail seems to be going well, and now that she appears to be slowly regaining her appetite, I feel even better than I did after claudiusx's post. Mmm, now lets hope everything keeps getting better.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I agree with everyone else.There is no need to panic at this time.They do go on a bit of a hunger strike due to relocation stress.Hopefully she will eat a little more each day.If you see her health start to decline or if she becomes sluggis then we can direct you on different ways to force feed but I honestly dont think it will be at all necessary.Dont handle her to much for the first week except for her basic care needs like feeding,baths,cleaning,etc.Good Luck.

-Vicky
BTW where are the pics? :wink:

Dessar

Original Poster

• Lets hope I won't have to resort to force feeding, hah. n__n; My local vet, the one who I've always taken my dogs to, owns a 5 year-old beardie himself, totally healthy, so I always have him to go to in case of emergencies.

I'd love to show Karma to you all, but sadly my camera has been broken for quite some time. :oops: But on the bright side, I found a good deal on a brand new Kodak camera tonight, and it should be here within '2-7 buisness days.' So hey, you guys will be flooded in pictures soon, I promise~! (I'll creature a blog once the camera arrives.)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok but remember we are only giving you a temporary reprieve :wink: We will just have to be patient..LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom