Concerns about female

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
So here is the situation my female seems to be refusing food? Or at least doesnt have an appetite. Now she just laid a clutch of 10 huge eggs about 18 days ago. I had to leave out of town for two weeks when i returned i went to feed her and saw a little dried up yellow egg in the cage and she didnt want to eat anything. So i put her in a bath and she laid another little egg that turned yellow and dried up that night. So i put her in the lay box i couldnt feel anything in her belly? And the eggs seem to small to have been retained from the prior clutch? And im sure there were just the two, and since its only been 18 days it cant be another clutch i cant feel any more eggs?

What do you guys think.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
i have heard of females laying eggs as close as 2 weeks apart. so it is possible she is laying a second clutch. you cant always feel the eggs depending on the size of your female and the size of the clutch. it is probably her laying a second clutch. she laid the egg while you were out of town for 2 weeks? Then laid the 2nd one the day you got home while in the bath correct? Is she digging now? They will go off food when ready to lay. If she doesnt lay anything today/tonight my suggestion would be to set up a vet. she may have been hanging on to the eggs trying to find a good place to lay and then popped one out due to the pressure. Possible that she is egg bound though i sincerely hope that is not the case. Leave her in her lay bin for a while. Hopefully she lays you another clutch.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
See thats the thing she is not digging at all! Jus basking and sleeping. Not really eating at all. And based on the size of the eggs one would think its another clutch and it could be the beginning stages of another one, cuz both those eggs were really small and turned yellow and dried up immediatly. Last clutch she was huge, didnt want to eat, digging etc... She is jus refusing food this time no digging or anything not really big in sixe either. And i did put her in the egg box last night she just wanted out didnt dig at all? I think and it doesnt really make sense but those two eggs could have been infertile ones retained from last clutch?

Thanks

spyder79

Extreme Poster
i can honestly say i have never heard of a female retaining eggs for 2 weeks. It really sounds like a second clutch. Give her another good warm bath and after you dry her off straight into the lay box. Start a hole for her that may help. Do you have a heat lamp on the lay box? If the material is cool she may just sleep. You want it warm so that she will keep moving. What was her weight after she laid and whats her weight now?

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
See thats what i need is a scale large enough for my beardies. I have one for my geckos and just recently got into beardies again and dont have one so i dont know. Here is the thing though there was one egg in the cage and i dont know when i got there it could have been retained for a day or two. or a week or laid just prior to getting home? Her last clutch did come quick only about 2 weeks or so and there were fewer eggs but they were huge and so was she. And then the second egg she laid in the water, she isnt showing signs of wanting to lay anything, the eggs seem to small to be laid and she is not large ehough? Im just really confused as to what going on with her!!! AHHH lol

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Think about this as well. I have herd and thats is is common, for females to reabsorb they're eggs. Because i dont have a box in her cage just a seperate one she could have laid those ten eggs for me:) and still had two left and over the last two weeks start to reabsorb them making them smaller and infetile? Just a thought

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
As far as I know, female beardies do not reabsorb their eggs. They can retain them and wind up getting eggbound/impacted with them.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok i dont know much about that or how credible the info i read was but it was a thought. I have had her in the lay box all day with a heat lamp and she has not shown and interest in laying anything just getting out. So i dont know where the two eggs came from but if its another clutch they were an accident or something if they are from the lst clutch they were just little and infetile? I will leave her in overnight. Then bath her try to feed again and see how she is doing.

thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom