concerned....not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hi there - WARNING .....LONG POST

I'm getting a bit concerned now.....actually my little darling has kept me on my toes from day one. When I read that book from the pet store that said bearded dragons were a great pet for children....I beg to differ. I'm an adult and have a hard time keeping up with my dragons needs.....but anyway.

Had him since July 19th (don't know his exact age but he was 6 inches long then).....and can not seem to get him to eat on a regular basis. He has been to the vet.....had coccidia and after almost 2 months got him clear of that and after two weeks of the "all clear" still he doesn't eat like everyone else seems to describe -

It's very frustrating and I wonder how he maintanes any weight at all. My vet isn't concerned and says as long as he is not losing weight and does not become dehydrated he will be fine. I'm worried because he seems to have stopped growing and rarely moves around his viv at all. He seems alert and follows movement in the room....he just does not seem interested in food (for long) or moving around. He does eat on his own most times just not very much and sometimes nothing at all. :shock:

I read about so many dragons here of his age that are "cricket-vacuums" and eat 50-80 circkets a day....and here about others growing an inch a week......mine ....hasn't grown at all in the last month... :cry:

Not sure what else to do for him-he just looks miserable :cry:

Please read through my enclosure set up and ask me questions if you need to....I'm afraid maybe I've over-looked something. I'm really not sure what else to do for him...

I've tried:
all diferent methods of feeding.....(in the viv, out of the viv....not watching)
PWs
Crickets
baby food (peas, green beans, chicken and lamb)
jump-start
acidopholiz

My set-up :
How old is your dragon? unsure age - guessing 4-5 months
How long have you had your dragon? since July 19th, 2008
How long is your dragon? 12 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 12 x 29 x 12 (new viv almost ready)
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? paper towel over shelf liner
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? ReptiSUN linear tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? ReptiSUN 10.0 tube
How old is your UVB bulb? 3 months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 6 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? (2) household 60watts side by side
What are the basking temps? 106
What is the cool side temp? 83
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? basking rock
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. crickets and PWs
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? morning and evening
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Rep-cal pink label calcium (every 1-2 days) and Rep-cal blue label vits (2 x week)
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes - small
Do you bath your dragon? How often? 2 x week and he HATES it
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? no - he HATES it
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? yes - all clear

norbertbd

Hatchling Member
I'm definitely no expert so hopefully someone else will pipe in here.

Ours is about 7 months old and is only 12.5-13.5" nose to tail tip. He does eat like a vacuum. He's also only done one full body shed and the rest have been little parts here and there. Norbert varies from running the cage to sitting and watching, or putting his head in the corner when he sulks.

How does he act if you let him out of the cage? Of course it's like following a baby around so it doesn't get into something it shouldn't.

Norbert HATES baths as well. I basically drip water on his nose to get him to drink. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've been thinking of trying one of those gerbil drink bottles. Someone else on here says they used it and it worked. They like to walk around and lick things, so there's a chance he'll actually figure it out.

I guess if the vet says he's okay, I'd go with that unless your gut is telling you strongly something different. Then maybe it's time for another vet or have him check bloodwork or something.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
norbertbd":face4 said:
I'm definitely no expert so hopefully someone else will pipe in here.

Ours is about 7 months old and is only 12.5-13.5" nose to tail tip. He does eat like a vacuum. He's also only done one full body shed and the rest have been little parts here and there. Norbert varies from running the cage to sitting and watching, or putting his head in the corner when he sulks.

How does he act if you let him out of the cage? Of course it's like following a baby around so it doesn't get into something it shouldn't.

Norbert HATES baths as well. I basically drip water on his nose to get him to drink. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've been thinking of trying one of those gerbil drink bottles. Someone else on here says they used it and it worked. They like to walk around and lick things, so there's a chance he'll actually figure it out.

I guess if the vet says he's okay, I'd go with that unless your gut is telling you strongly something different. Then maybe it's time for another vet or have him check bloodwork or something.

Thanks for listening and replying to my rant...He won't accept water from a dropper or my finger-tip and hhe won't drink in his bath....he won't eat veggies......I dip his pheonix worms in water and feed them by hand so that a few drops get into him. I thought about the gerbil water bottle too and Imight try that in his larger viv when it's ready.
I don't let him run around my house because I have a cat that would LOVE to have him for a snack. Ocasionally he'll go for a short ride on my shoulder or sits in the window sill. Mostly he won't move when he's out of his viv....very alert but won't move.
I did have blood work done and his calcium/phos level was off a little bit but I've raised his supplements so that should be corrected by mow-we go back to the vet in two weeks to recheck that but he seems no different to me.
It's nice to know, though, that there are others out there that have young dragons that aren't the growing eating-machine that I've heard of . I was starting to feel like an unfit mother :oops:
He is still in his starter tank now so maybe he just needs more space.....I'm afraid when I move him to his 4 x 2 x 2 larger viv he'll stop eating completely from relocation stress but it's the only thing I have left to try???
Thanks for the reply-I appreciate your thoughts...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Both of my girls are eating somewhere around 20 +/- crickets a day. We do feed them phoenix worms and butterworms also. Mainly for variety. They tend to eat more crickets when we don't feed them the other things but my newest girl whom we've had for 4 weeks today has grown 1.5 inches in that time. We measured her a couple of days ago.

norbertbd

Hatchling Member
I don't know if this will help or not, but maybe if you try feeding him in a separate container for awhile, then when you put him in the big viv, put that container inside when you feed him. I decided to make a full size viv from the start rather than spending more money up front. So I've been feeding him in a clear rubbermaid container inside ever since, so he's not stressing about chasing the crickets. At first I found he wouldn't eat in the container, then I started putting it in the viv so the temp. was more like he was used too. Then he started eating like mad.

You're right about feeling like a unfit mother. I feel the same way alot. In some ways it seem worse than when our first baby came home from the hospital. I keep thinking about a vet trip just for good measure, but I'm sure after the dishwasher breaking, leaking, damaging the wood floors, etc., it's not going to go over that well with the hubby.

Have you tried different greens? The breeder told me she fed him Romaine right from the start, so he was refusing the recommended greens from this site. So I started mixing the Romaine and the Mustard Greens until he would eat the Mustard Greens on their own. There are some greens he just flat out won't eat. He's actually cut back on eating his greens lately. The little guys actually acting a little like he's brumating, which he's a little young for from what I've read; but not totally unheard of.

I keep my fingers crossed all the time, because I'll have 2 unhappy kids as well as me, if he doesn't thrive.

I have one baby dragon that hasn't grown as well as the others I have. He is a picky eater and eats a few PW's (which he is very indifferent about) and crickets daily. He has started to nibble at greens (which has elated me). He has no parasites. I have two of his clutch mates who have grown like weeds and are terrific eaters, but little Rocky has been a challenge. I think individual dragons are different. We call Rocky our little preemie, and he has caused us a lot of anxiety like a preemie would. He is active, just small and picky.

We dragon Moms do have our work cut out for us sometimes.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies....makes me feel better that he's not the only slow-grower out there. I worked like a mad-woman today to get his larger viv ready and now it's just waiting for the MVB to arive and getting any left over fumes from the silicone out. The MVB (T-rex Active UV 100 watt) claims to increase there appetite (I think that's what I read ???) Hopefully he won't "crash" during the relocation and start eating and growing soon. Thanks for the support. Me and my BD are so lucky to have found this site :D

Thanks again.

Best wishes to all of you and your dragons :D

lynn

i got my bearded dragon in july he was eating very good till 4 days ago now he is not eating anything

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
With Speedy, our girl, she doesn't eat as many crickets as most her age (not really sure, probably between 4 to 6 months old). She eats about 20 to 25 crickets every day. She will eat phoenix worms and butterworms also. She has to be shown the phoenix worms as they are very small. She doesn't eat the 50 to 60 each day thing, either. She has grown, tho. She and Zoom Zoom have doubled in size since we've gotten them. I know how easy it is to worry about them. Try not to. Your vet does specialize in reptiles? That helps as those that don't specialize in reptiles don't always know what to do even if they think they do know.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
beardie parents":317e0 said:
With Speedy, our girl, she doesn't eat as many crickets as most her age (not really sure, probably between 4 to 6 months old). She eats about 20 to 25 crickets every day. She will eat phoenix worms and butterworms also. She has to be shown the phoenix worms as they are very small. She doesn't eat the 50 to 60 each day thing, either. She has grown, tho. She and Zoom Zoom have doubled in size since we've gotten them. I know how easy it is to worry about them. Try not to. Your vet does specialize in reptiles? That helps as those that don't specialize in reptiles don't always know what to do even if they think they do know.

Hi there,

This morning he ate nothing and tonight only one pheonix worm. He hasn't pooped for two days but hasn't really ate much either. I gave him a warm bath but no poop....great!!! Something new to worry about. :banghead:

I just moved his smaller viv to the other room where his new larger viv will be. He is still in the smaller viv but I just wanted him to get used to all the action while he still had his familiar viv . Around thursday I will move him into the larger one ...... I guess he is going through location stress now but I really wish he'd go poop. I'm used to his eating going up and down but he had been a fairly steady pooper :roll:

Yes my vet specializes in reptiles and I'm lucky to have him. He doesn't seem too worried but tomorrow morning I'll try again.
Thanks for the reply. :D

Brownie

Our Beardie is 5/6 months old. Weighs 72 gms and is 13 inches tip of nose to tip of tail.

My kids always wanted a pet dog. After two budgies, a hamster and goldfish that they never looked after I always said no. My son then turned 16 and wanted a Beardie. I relented.

He got his first two Beardies at end July (approx 2 months old) in a four foot tank in his bedroom. They were 7 inches (nose to tip of tail) They were ravenous for about first 5 weeks we had them and would eat any greens, crickets whatever we gave them.

“Greenie” lost a lot of weight and was diagnosed with coccidia from a poo sample. Brownie didn’t have a fecal check but both dragons were treated for coccidia which I don’t have to tell you takes a lot of hard work Greenie failed to get any better and even with feeding from a shringe she died a few weeks later. During all of this Brownie was eating like a horse. After Greenie died he was okay for about a week and then he too stopped eating normally (maybe 1 or 2 crickets, no veg). We took him back to the vet, Coccidia hardly noticeable BUT he was diagnosed with worms! Vet says he probably had them all along?? Second round of meds finished at end September. He is now 13 inches (nose to tail) and weighs 70gms BUT he still hardly eats anything..

He looks okay, recently shed on his tail. He runs around, likes to come out of his cage. I keep thinking he’s a fussy eater. We have tried every type of veg but no use he’s not eating it. We’ve just changed from black to brown crickets yesterday and when he first saw them he ate 10 in a row – big meal for him. Today he refuses to eat again!! Will try him with something different later and then maybe give him babyfood to keep him going.

My son is now at work so my lunch hours are spent with my head in the tank trying to sort him out. He’s away on business next week so it’s me on the night shift too.

My daughter is a faddy eater, has had asthma and eczema and was hard work. Brownie goes the extra mile!!!! I’ve gone from a Mum scared of the darned thing to actually giving him all my spare time, pulling the heads off waxworms to hand feed him, bathing him, cleaning up his poop, shopping round for different veg that he might like.

I think we should have got a dog. But like any child that you become fond off, wouldn’t swap him for the world. If we had the room I’d move him downstairs so I could see him more often!

Brownie’s “Nan”.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm wondering if he's depressed and feeling lonely. If you could hold him more when you are at home, maybe he'll start bonding with you and feel less lonely. Or you could keep the radio on while you aren't at home, I don't know how well that works, because my husband is at home while I work.

boxers

Hatchling Member
luvthydragon":97603 said:
I'm worried because he seems to have stopped growing and rarely moves around his viv at all. He seems alert and follows movement in the room....he just does not seem interested in food (for long) or moving around. He does eat on his own most times just not very much and sometimes nothing at all. :shock:

I read about so many dragons here of his age that are "cricket-vacuums" and eat 50-80 circkets a day....and here about others growing an inch a week......mine ....hasn't grown at all in the last month... :cry:

That sounds hugely familiar.
Does he get really excited when he sees the food, and then you put it in the cage, and he is just like... "ehh." Ignores you, or turns and stomps off?

MontysMom

Hi, I'm new here...

I was so relieved to see this thread... I'm going through almost the exact same thing.

I got Monty in early September, the girl who sold him to me said he was about 2 months old. I asked her how she was feeding him, she said "about 10-12 crickets every second day or so".. So, ok.. I get him home, I have my UVB lamp (coil bulb, angled towards his basking spot), my heat lamp, his hide, the tank (Monty came with a tank) and some calcium and mineral supps.

I tried feeding him a tiny piece of romaine lettuce a few days later (just to see if he'd eat veggies) and he violently spit it out.... ok.. we''ll stick to crickets. SO, for the first few weeks he seemed fine - eating about 5-6 crix a day, active, basking all day, I gave him baths every two days and he was pooping every 3-4 days like clockwork (he ALWAYS poops in the bath, god bless him! he hasn't pooped in his tank once!!), and drinking drops off water off my hand.
Eventually he stopped being interested in the crickets... he stopped basking as much... I freaked and rushed him to the vet. Diagnosis - pinworms AND coccidia.
He was dewormed by the vet, and he was on antibiotics for 5 days (took his meds like a trooper, what a sweetie).

Backtrack 2 days - The weekend before the appointment, I got proactive : checked the temps on the cool side of the tank - too cold. So I bought him a bigger tank and another heat lamp. Now his temps are perfect - 105 in his basking spot, 80-85 in the rest of the tank (except directly under the second heat lamp, where it's warmer, about 92).

So, it's been 6 weeks since the vet appointment. His tank temps are perfect. He basks a bit during the day, he's eating a bit of his greens (I put out carrot tops, swiss chard leaves, snow peas), he stil poops like clockwork every few days. But he stopped eating crickets. He won't touch them. At all. So I've resorted to feeding different kinds of worms - and he eats them all. Phoenix worms, silkworms, hornworms, king mealworms. Obviously I'm not going overboard, I'm aware that some of those are ten meals in themselves...

But, ok.. here's my concern. He sleeps a lot. I am pretty sure he still basks a bit during the day (I sometimes see the subtrate dug up in the corners, he loves to do that), but he sleeps til late morning and then is sleeping when I get home from work, even today when I got off early and was home at 4pm, he was already under his hide. Sometimes I lean down and peek and he's got his eyes open, but he's hiding. He used to bask a LOT more, but then again that was when his temps were too low.

He's only about 5 months old now, about 12 inches nose to tip of tail... the vet said the low temps may have induced an artificial, early brumation... has this ever happened to anyone? He's eating, he's drinking, he's basking (a little), he's pooping..... but he's very lethargic most of the time. :( I'm worried, I ADORE him, and I want him to be happy and perky and active like the ones at the local reptile zoo/rescue!!

HELP!

boxers

Hatchling Member
MontysMom":5901b said:
I asked her how she was feeding him, she said "about 10-12 crickets every second day or so"..

SO, for the first few weeks he seemed fine - eating about 5-6 crix a day, active, basking all day, I gave him baths every two days and he was pooping every 3-4 days like clockwork (he ALWAYS poops in the bath, god bless him! he hasn't pooped in his tank once!!), and drinking drops off water off my hand.

So I've resorted to feeding different kinds of worms - and he eats them all. Phoenix worms, silkworms, hornworms, king mealworms. Obviously I'm not going overboard, I'm aware that some of those are ten meals in themselves...

Just for the record, when my boyfriend's dragon (in signature) was still on crickets, he would eat twenty-thirty in one sitting, and eat at least twice a day, not including his veggie dish. At this time, he was pooping regularly every day-- sometimes twice, but usually just once.
Those sound like very small amounts of food for your dragon. I'm not a vet, but maybe the small amounts of food were as influential as the low temperatures, since they do eat less during brumation.
Oh, also- We now have Razual on phoenix worms: he either eats 60+ smalls a day, or 40+ mediums.

And you didn't mention in the post whether he has since gotten a better UVB bulb? I know that the coils are not recommended. We were originally using them and were quickly scolded into getting MVBs instead :wink: Intensified Razual's color to an even brighter orange than it was before, pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Go88 là một trong những nhà cái cá cược trực tuyến hàng đầu với danh tiếng vững chắc trong cộng đồng người chơi.
Tag: #appgo88link #go88link #Game_Go88 #Game_bài_Go88 #Cổng_game_Go88 #Tài_xỉu_Go88 #Nạp_tiền_Go88 #Rút_tiền_Go88 #play_Go88
https://smartcity.bandung.go.id/member/bsc3090527795d
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Appgo88link
Top Bottom