Concerned about a few things please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure how to upload a picture, but my baby beardie has some very thick skin at the base of his tail that looks like its needed to come off for a while. Picture the thickness of a scab on a scrape (he is not wounded and doesn't have yellow patches or anything). He is in the shedding process and is definitely uncomfortable. He also keeps chillin with one eye closed which i know is usually a sign of poor lighting, but his lights seem great. (Zoo med basking lamp and heat emitter for night. Zilla 18" slimeline with the plastic covering removed to ensure direct ubv, which is about 8 or 9 inches from his basking log). His temp is about 107 in the basking area, 95 next to it, and around 80 on the cool side, which he very rarely spends time in. Hes maybe 2 months old, about 7 inches nose to tail.
Weve tried soaking him but it just wont loosen. There is no weird discoloration or anything besides the normal paleness/darker areas where the skin is coming off.
Also his throat/beard area flares out as hes breathing. Sometimes i hear little clicks when he breathes (which i also knew a perfectly healthy dragon who made clicks while asleep cause she was comfortable). This makes me concerned about a respiratory problem bit there isnt any unusual saliva or discharge in the nose/mouth area. Do they usually flare their throat area when breathing?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tail sheds can be thick and stubborn sometimes. It will likely come loose on it's own eventually. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

I suggest moving the UVB light a little closer if you can. 6-8'' is the best range for the T8 in a slimline fixture. Even with that built in reflector, they aren't super powerful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post some close ups of him on a solid light color to show that skin ? It does look like something's wrong and he looks quite thin as well. What does it look like on his tummy ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you hold him up + take pics of his belly and then put him on a light solid colored table for a better pic ? I'm trying to see if there's an actual thick band of skin constricting his stomach or if he might even have a fungal infection.

diamondfontaign

Original Poster
I will definitely try to do that when hes all tired. He just ate some more and is very squirmy/not wanting to be held. Thank you for helping me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That does look fungal to me, sometimes a bad shed turns in to a fungal problem. It is odd that it appears to be constricting his lower ribcage area....so it looks like skin that has'nt she but also like fungal infection as started. You can apply Lotrimin or Monistat antifungal , that will at least moisten the area so the skin can come off but you should also have a skin scrape done by ONLY a qualified reptile vet. But for now you can put the cream on it, that will loosen al the skin and can begin to kll off certain amount of fungus. Don't bathe him anymore, it will spread the fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom