Compact lamps unsafe? UVGuideUK brief update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lk4sturns

Hatchling Member
Liketo ask.Got 40 gallon breeder with 3 foot 30 watt ex-terra 10.0 for UVB(and A).Uses 100 watt halgon spot for basking,get around 102 to 105 this time year,and infare redfor night when needto keep over 72 or day if need extra heat.I run floorcent 14 hr. each day and when I take out add that time back in,so 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and add if out two 2hr. that day back in so run to 11 p.m. that day(try to take out 1 to 2 hr. each day-make sure gets atleast 12hr. each day).Is one floorcent tube enuogh or should I run two or add floorcent spot for total of 60 watts and would cut time down to 12hr to 10.What about idea of adding extra 30 watts only 3 day to act like mid day outdoors and if did this would you reduce total time for day down to 12hr. to 10 hr..Also with Silver or White on light fixture which is better at reflexing light and heat and is deeper fixtures I see better or only for keeping bulb from sticking out.Study alot and have my thought's but they are people here who know more and like to hear and learn more about this.

Thankyou,
Scott

PS:I can not seem to upload photo,keeps telling me kb or mb to big,help so you can see my first BreadedDragon I got as resue,so this site help so much,wish found sooner.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok I am a little confused as to your exact question but I will give it a shot.Both UVB and heat should be run together for a 12-14 hour period.You can lower that to 10-12 hours during the winter months if you have an adult.As for adding uvb its not wattage that matters here its the percentage of uvb that is emitted and the quality of the bulb.The best thing IMO for you to do with a 40 gallon is to either go with a Reptisun 10.0.Arcadia 12%(if you are in the UK) or you can go with an MVB like a megaray but this may require some changing around of the basking area due to the distance requirement.Any of these options are good and you can go with what you feel more comfortable with.Make sure when you are using the 6-8 inches from it when basking and as long as it covers around 3/4 of the tank length you need not add more bulbs.As for your clamp lamp question personally I like using the white ceramic type however the silver does have a higher reflective quality.Hope this is what you were looking for.

-Vicky
One more thing if you want to upload pics then its best to open a photobucket.com account(or something similar/its free).

Lk4sturns

Hatchling Member
Hey someone else from L.I. !Drache613 I think told me to move this thead to Enclosures,it's under: Floorcent Lighting Tubes and Compact -Wattage and Time.Wrote alot there already, please take look there and get back(justadded to thread).

Thankyou,
Scott

Seethman

Holy moses!
That is a LOT of information--I nominate you as Scientist of the Day. Thank you very much.

Of course, now I'm a bit terrified that I have the wrong lamp--I picked up a Zilla Desert 50. I'll look it over more closely now! The assistant told me that these had just recently come back into stock, and that previous stock had been removed, so perhaps they got rid of all the "bad" ones?

How do you test for overall output of UVB in the various wavelengths, anyway?

Lk4sturns

Hatchling Member
Sorry been away but question for here. Is 13 watt 10.0 UVB exo-Terra compact lamp safe? Got from friend at trade show Sunday. Got some new comer and using this in clear container that about same size as 20 gallon fish, along with basking light.
Per switch to MVB instead tube may hold off. I would have to suspend MVB atleast 6 inchs above tank for proper distance in 40 gallon breeder.

Thankyou,
Scott

Lk4sturns

Hatchling Member
I went Petland and got them to give me store credit on Compact floorcent I did not get from them. I had friend say to me you want take chance with ther eye's, said hanging up phone and pull out my 36 inch 10.0 floorcent tube(yeah hang's off side's off my clear container-25 gallon size). Still like to know, beleive fix problem (exo-terra compact 10.0) but is more than likely there some still out bad. Petland manger flip out, said won't run cause possible eye problem and said( exo-Terra brand only they carry) never heard of problem and Petland would not carry if did. Told could not take chance and problem was with all compact manufacturer if correct. Again like to hear update.

Thank you,
Scott

sittser

Hatchling Member
Lk4sturns":318cc said:
I went Petland and got them to give me store credit on Compact floorcent I did not get from them. I had friend say to me you want take chance with ther eye's, said hanging up phone and pull out my 36 inch 10.0 floorcent tube(yeah hang's off side's off my clear container-25 gallon size). Still like to know, beleive fix problem (exo-terra compact 10.0) but is more than likely there some still out bad. Petland manger flip out, said won't run cause possible eye problem and said( exo-Terra brand only they carry) never heard of problem and Petland would not carry if did. Told could not take chance and problem was with all compact manufacturer if correct. Again like to hear update.

Thank you,
Scott

iv been useing it for all of my bds life and hes never had a prob so i dont no what the big dell is

Lk4sturns

Hatchling Member
Where to start. Thread get long miss thing's. Read from start again and what Frances wrote was Great. There was some issue's with certain company's you needed to be aware of(like Zilla). Now feel exo-Terra return was safe but it does not put out enough (small tank for compact only) so glad returned. Arcadia look good but RepitSun which make great tubes never sent compact to her,so based on there tubes coil should be good but like to confirm. These be only coils I would use in terms of safe and output. Understand also when make lamps there contracting out production so you have cheap ones and better ones most time made in same factory. Key here is material's they use and production people from that company checking every step, (did this for long time in another industry) coin saying are they Watching there store or Who watching there store (seem zilla and other has issue with this, how could they ever ship lamp Leaking C !). Great thread to learn and remind you of think's did know. Last Frances did ReptiSun get you coils to test, if not I'll call them so you get, it nice enough your willing run test, thank you.

Best Regard's
Scott

dougx

My BD is about 6 years old. I have always used the coils, sometimes just 2uvb and sometimes 2 x 2uvb, plus a 50w spotlight, also the sunlight comes in through the window (so he can have a view and for warmth). He has always been very healthy. I think I used a 5uvb at one time but cannot remember. I have tried the 10uvb 2 times, in both instances my BD started having eye problems in one eye almost immediately, even though I kept it at least 12-18 inches from him. One eye would stay closed or mostly closed all the time, you could tell it was abnormal. Each time I removed the 10uvb, waited a few hours, and gave him some turtle drops and it cleared up immediately. Thats the last time I try the 10uvb unless I can figure out an adjustment. I was wondering - could you cover half the dome lamp where the coil resides, with aluminum foil or something so he does not get hit directly in the eyes with the light? Does the uvb bounce around inside the glass terrarium so that he would still get some of it?

He knows the seasons because of the window and I notice in winter, he does not like the lights coming on early in the morning. He will start trying to dig to get away from the lights. So I have changed the timer to turn them on around 9:30am or so. When they don't come on right away, he just lays up on his log very relaxed. But I do have a few 20w black lights come on early in the morning so he will be warm while awake.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Frances, have you heard of any issues with the T-Rex Active UV flood causing eye problems recently?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
diamc":5dc9c said:
Frances, have you heard of any issues with the T-Rex Active UV flood causing eye problems recently?

Also curious about this. I am on day 3 of my new trex(after two megaray attempts) and so far, so good....

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am curious as well.When the Megaray started having issues I replaced all 4 of mine with the TRex Active Heat and have had very mixed results thus far.Their appetites are good,activity levels are mixed depending on the beardie but they all seem to be voluntarily closing eyes while basking some more then others.They eyes look otherwise alert and they are not constantly closed but non the less I am still a bit concerned.I emailed TRex twice and have not gotten any response from them as of yet.I am aware however that these bulbs are being made at the same manufacturing facility as the Megarays which worries me a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom