Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
1000003899.jpg

Although bearded dragons are perfection. It's worth the effort to get some good pics

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
1000004232.jpg

Caught her in an eye bulge. That whole head is getting whiter so I hope she sheds soon. We are planning to go on an adventure soon. I will be putting in effort to document the trip. I'm not much for travel, but there are exceptions. More to come next month

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Looking at the photos of Devlyn on the cholla I'm just surprised how well she mimics the color including the holes as dark spots.
Especially your left photo from your May 28, 2023 posting and your photos from Apr 3, 2023, wow!

Just thought about that as my dragon Taco also looks very much in color like his favorite climbing background (which we got before him, so not matched to his color).

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Looking at the photos of Devlyn on the cholla I'm just surprised how well she mimics the color including the holes as dark spots.
Especially your left photo from your May 28, 2023 posting and your photos from Apr 3, 2023, wow!

Just thought about that as my dragon Taco also looks very much in color like his favorite climbing background (which we got before him, so not matched to his color).
It is surprising, I'm impressed with Devlyn the absolutely normal morph beardie. She knows how to be a bearded dragon. She absolutely does color change either all over or separate spots

Don't have a picture of it but early one when she needed medicine she was black bearding, but it was only the side towards me. When I went to lift her out of the enclosure I could see the other half of her beard was her normal tan/orange

Giving your beardie stuff so they can do their beardie thing is a joy. Taco is an A+ name!

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Giving your beardie stuff so they can do their beardie thing is a joy. Taco is an A+ name!
I agree on that - beardie stuff is a must for me... ähm, us, Taco and me :)
I absolutely love watching animal behavior, and on top, "beardie stuff" makes it so much easier IMHO to keep them healthy.
Taco's also an "absolutely normal morph" beardie and also does the blend-in-mode so well that I was asked by people how I made the background colors matching him so well :D No, that wasn't me, he's the one who does it.

Btw.: I came up with the name "Taco" as of "pancake... but we're here in South America, so no that must be a taco!"

Don't have a picture of it but early one when she needed medicine she was black bearding, but it was only the side towards me. When I went to lift her out of the enclosure I could see the other half of her beard was her normal tan/orange
Hadn't thought that! Some species do their expression of emotion mostly towards other individuals, whereas others tend to also do it for themselves. (Ever yelling or cursing in pain but nobody around? Laughing about a joke you read despite you're alone in your room? That's how we humans also express their emotions.)
That shown again how well they can communicate as she wasn't doing this only for herself. Reminds me of a sick dog limping a bit more when they know you look to gain your attention to help them.

Last edited:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
In Devlyn news we had her vet appointment yesterday. Devlyn had been weighing around 410 grams and the vet had expressed she may overly nourished. This was the past 2 years I brought her in so over the past 6 months or so (she brumated during that time) I gave her less sugary and lower fat options

Such as more dubia roaches compared to superworm. Less bell peppers. She never ate that much fruit like blueberry or banana so she still got those on the same rate

Yesterday I had her visit, vet said she was 384 grams on her scale...and she didn't like Devlyn at less weight! This was about 6% weight loss from her normal and the vet said take her back to 400-410 range

Much to Devlyn's joy she get a pinky mouse for the protein bulk (she gets 1 or 2 a year and she loves them). More bell peppers as her favorite vegetable. More bee pollen since it has good protein value

Specifically the vet said Devlyn's limbs had less muscle mass to her eye. Devlyn is only 16 inches long so her pancake body does make her look very wide and fat. She's just a little stunted, probably, we can't know for sure since she was so sick when I took her in

Devlyn is gonna be happy to get Some big meals the next few weeks. I figure one bigger meal a week would be a good pace to bulk up

Here are some bonus pics. I took Devlyn on Monday to see the total eclipse of the sun! 🌑☀️

1000004322.jpg

We went down to Missouri, which was our 1st choice plan and we confirmed it in the days before since MO would have mostly sunny skies. We had no clouds at our spot

1000004319.jpg

I took video! Devlyn had some normal but interesting choices of behavior. When the eclipse started she 💩. Then she did the beardie commando crawl - not her normal walk - to pick at some leaves on the ground. I would prefer her not eating but we did pick a park that says they don't use pesticides or herbicides

1000004325.jpg

My husband got his phone to focus on the totality - pretty good for a phone pic

When the eclipse happened the temperature immediately dropped by 15°F. I'm glad I brought the beardie thermometer! Devlyn changed her color to nearly patternless pale tan. The grassy sandy area we were at was a smooth sand color. She also stopped moving completely - birds including a hawk started flying from the trees around the clear area we were at. Devlyn is smart at being a beardie. She knew to blend in and don't move. I picked her up anyway since birds are scary and just in case that hawk had too much bravado to fly between my husband and I to get her

1000004304.jpg

We picked the right spot to be, that's one of Devlyn's logs and she is on it near the ladder

It was worth it. Devlyn has always seemed to enjoy car rides. The drive home did go after dark so she tried to sleep. I don't think she liked that part of the trip

She is also very in shed in spots everywhere so her colors aren't quite her normal

I always regretted not travelling to the totality in 2017. I saw the eclipse from my home state, but oh, the totality was worth the 11 hour drive there and back.

And I have one complaint. Missouri roads suck! It took 6 hours to drive through Minnesota and Iowa, then 5 hours just to reach southeast Missouri. I can travel through 2 states in about the time it took to traverse the whole of just 1 state

It'll take me some time. Maybe by the weekend if I'm very productive to go through the GoPro footage

1000004294.jpg

We got a hotel for Sunday night. She slept in her carrier. I didn't take a different angle but the other side zips open so there is enough space where she could turn around easily. She has some cork and a soft towel, she choose the cork to sleep on. Devlyn loves cork beds

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think Dev and Darwin (Cooperdragon) are competing for best trips lol. They have more fun than most people 😄
(But thats a GREAT thing)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Looks like a great trip! It's fun to camp with them and give them some time to roam around outside like that.
Devlyn is good travel buddy because she moves maybe 5 feet than has to stop for 20 minutes to look around. She always has happy colors for car trips. This was a long, long car trip. Even then she kept her light colors and her behavior seemed happy

She didn't even make a poop mess in the car. 1st poop at the first gas station stop. Next one the next day on the grass during the eclipse. Then another after coming home. Very considerate

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
She didn't even make a poop mess in the car. 1st poop at the first gas station stop. Next one the next day on the grass during the eclipse. Then another after coming home. Very considerate
That was a good timing :) Mine's also very clean regarding poop (poops never on his decor but only in the sand, never walks through poop), but still: respect!

Last edited:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
My vet us using a new lab and their test results are written a bit differently. They also put out a value for triglycerides. I have no idea what to do with that number, there is not much research on it. If Devlyn was human that number would be terribly high, but she's generally healthy so it's probably fine

As usual her calcium is slightly high, but it seems to be her stable high Ca: P ratio of 2.34:1 (19.4:8.3). This makes her phosphorus high, but it's her normal high in a good ratio. She gets calcium once sometimes twice a week

Test4/09/24 resultsNormals
WBC 10-3/μL85-13
RBC 10-6/μLclotted, sample hemolyzed0.50-1.50
PVC%3026-48
Buffy coat%00-1
Total protein g/dL4.33.5-6.5
PolychromasiaSlight-
AnisocytosisSlight-
Parasites P.O.F.None seenNone
Magnesium3.3-
Heterophils63%30-68%
Het absolute # /μL5040-
Lymphocytes22%20-55%
Lymph absolute #/μL1760-
Basophils10%3-8%
Basophils absolute #/μL800-
Eosinophils0%0-1%
Monocytes0%0-1%
Azurophils5%0-12%
Azuro absolute #/μL400-
Thrombos/PlateletsPresentPresent
Calcium mg/dL19.49-17
Uric Acid mg/dL2.61.8-4
Phosphorus mg/dL8.33-8.5
CPK U/L1231175-1450
Glucose mg/dL218156-280
BUN<14-20
SGOT (AST) IU/L4425-144
Triglycerides mg/dL712-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom