Columbian tegu question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, im thinking about getting a columbian tegu and have a question about feeding. I go on a vacation about every summer and i saw something that said you can feed tegus about twice a week, but i was wondering if it would be ok to feed the tegu more food than normal on the day i was leaving and i would come back around 5-6 days later and then feed it imedediatly would it be alright?? this would only happen once a year.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Would their not be anyone around? can't you ask friends/family to feed the tegu?

I wouldnt be keen leaving a pet home alone for a week, what if something bad happens? like falls ill suddenly?

DragonDude24

Original Poster
yes i probably could get my neighbor to look in on it just not sure if they would be up to feeding it. Do u think i could leave like how i said with someone just checking on it?

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
I know VERY little about tegu's so i can't help you with that one. But looking at them you may be right trying to get someone with little knowledge about reptiles to feed it, they do get fairly big!

Might be worth asking on a specific tegu forum or if someone here has one that could shed some light. To be honest tho if its just once a year i would think you would be fine but i would definetly get someone to check in either daily or every couple of days to make sure its ok

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
I have a blue tegu. I heard that they don't have to eat every day but that said I wouldn't risk going 5 days straight. I would never do it myself.

Also, have you done a lot of research on Columbians. I'm wondering why you are interested in Columbians vs. Argentines. Argentines are generally more docile.

Check out http://www.tegutalk.com ... the best tegu site out there.

DragonDude24

Original Poster
yeah ive looked columbians and decided to go for an argentine.
They hibernate in the winter though and go months without eating so i would think if i just gave him a lot of food before i left it would be fine. like i said though it would only be once a year.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
The thing about winter hibernation though is that the gradually slow down their system up to that point. It's more of a natural thing that they prepare for. And again, their system is nearly shut down during that time, their metabolism slowed greatly. It's different if you are in the height of their active season and then deny them food for 5 days in the middle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom