Colours and lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, couple of questions on uv lighting. Firstly I've just got my second bearded Eddie. I've been seeing Eddie at my local pet store for around 6 weeks now( every time I needed live food we'd have a chat) and dragged my hubby so he could see him and we brought him home. Anyway I digress, in the store viv he appeared various shades of green, now he's home his colours seem very dull and more on the greyer side. My uv is a Arcadia 10% strip light set half way down my wood viv back wall. I've read this is fine although 12% is better but not stocked at the pet store. Is my lighting ok, has the colour difference in my beardie got any impact on his health?
Second bit ( bear with me) my other beardie Izzy was a bit of a rescue case and was under weight an small when I got her form a lady who took in unwanted reptiles( she took in the parents and hay ho they had babies) is under the same light set up. She has made great progress but still seems to suffer from the Moody's. She all ways seems to have a parshal black beard too. Could she need more uva? Her colours are yellow and orange and very bright.
Any imput welcome and appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos? He may just be duller because he has a shed coming on. The Arcadia bulb you have is a T8, correct? If so, then that should sit around 6-8'' above the basking area for best results. If you upgrade to a T5 bulb, then it should sit more around 12'' above the basking area. If you want to improve visual lighting then you could get a dual fixture and put one T5 UVB light in and a 6500k light next to it which would make things very bright. I'd only do that in a large enclosure though.

Dragon2016

Original Poster
Pics of Izzy and her perment black beard and her set up.
87110-3066302887.jpg
87110-6952174399.jpg
Pics of Eddie and his set up.
87110-7259514266.jpg
87110-9318170058.jpg
As soon as Eddie was taken out of the pet shop viv his colours appeared different, I guess what I'm asking is what lights could they be using to produce this effect, what lights are best?
Izzy concerns me as she is very moody and always has dark beard since her last shed about 2 weeks ago.
I have had it noted by a few uses that my set up seems fine, could she be ill?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The lighting can definitely have an effect on their appearance. I'm not sure what the store had in place. Perhaps a bright coil UVB or a daylight bulb of some kind. If you take them outside you'll get their real colors under natural sunlight.

It looks like they can get close enough to the UVB lights in those tank so that's probably not a concern. I'd consider T5 upgrades when it's time to replace the bulbs but it's not necessary.

Izzy's beard stays that way all the time? If it were intermittent I'd chalk it up to mood but if it's constantly black then she probably isn't feeling well. If she's still making progress, then it may just be a matter of waiting and keeping up her routine. It can sometimes take them a very long time to recover completely.

Dragon2016

Original Poster
Ok thanks for your quick reply. Yes Izzy,s beard has been like it since she last shed 2 weeks ago. She's still making great progress in weight gain and is growing well but is currently suffering from a bout of dioreea. I've come to the conclusion its when I've feed the crickets Apple. She doesn't ever eat this. I might get a poo sample over to the vets for a look see if it's anything more sinister.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It isn't a bad idea to have it tested just in case something else is going on. Otherwise it may just be dietary as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom