colored sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor13

I've read sevearal things about sand and causing ipaction, but my beardie is missing some toes and stuff. Will that stuff hurt him or irritate his feet and how much would it cost. Also If i use colored sand of play sand would that be okay. or does it need to be calcium sand. Or just plane old white washed sand. He's on orange calcium sand now. :?:

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
Colored sand will stain your beardie. Play sand isn't great either. The best way to go is not sand at all, but tile.

~Haley

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
This thread explains it all.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

Colored sand may seem great because it looks awesome, but it isn't safe for your beardie, period. Try newspaper, tile, slate, shelf liner, or a reptile carpet. Be sure to look at the thread posted above. :mrgreen:

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
razor13":j39jmkkg said:
Ok but what does calcium sand do for them anyway

It's just marketing tactics. People assume that because it has calcium, it's great for reptiles, which is why people buy it. Reptiles apparently can acquire a taste for it, which gives them an even greater risk of impaction.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Honestly beardies do not live on sand at all in the wild. They live on hardened clay which has very little loose particle. Their bodies are not meant to be able to digest sand and on top of everything it will completely ruin their teeth if they accidently get it in their mouth while eating (My 11yr old beardie has only broken teeth as I housed him on sand for 6yrs) He is now on non adhesive shelf liner. The dust from sand is bad for their respiratory system and eyes. It is probably the worst thing you could house your beardie on IMO.

Kalyn

razor13

Original Poster
If u used tile or self liner would it hurt his feet he has had his toes bitten off and don't want to hurt them

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Does he have open wounds still? or is he all healed up?

If hes all healed up tile and/or shelf liner would work great and I don't think it will hurt him at all.

Kalyn

izz

Juvie Member
I don't want to start a riot but live in the the beardies home country and i know they live on lots of things.
They may live in parks on grass or deserts in sand or leaflitter in the bush. They are very adaptable animals and could live on anything.

BUT, calcium sand is not good, infact its terrible.If you want to use sand use playsand. Only use sand when they are 14 or 16 inches long. Another bad thing about calci sand is that it stains their feet aand tails, making them look dirty not clean.

Please don't get angry at me but ive seen pics of wild ones in sand.

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
Izz. No one should get mad at you. You live in Aussie, you know what its like. And you were super polite expressing your opinon and knowlege. : )

~Haley

izz

Juvie Member
HaleyMaree":3a46tix4 said:
Izz. No one should get mad at you. You live in Aussie, you know what its like. And you were super polite expressing your opinon and knowlege. : )

~Haley

Thanks!!. :D . Being 11 i sorta think differently to adults so i thought i might get into a tiff. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom