Cold beardie and won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2-3 yr old male that we've had since Juneish. He has the 120gal tank the owners sold to us with all his stuff. The day we brought him home I food processed some greens and he ate it right up. He has been just picking since. I've given him exactly what I did the first day and tried different greens (I use the list from beautifuldragons site) , I've tried not chopping as much etc. He may eat one or 2 bites every few days or not at all. Now he will eat phoenix worms and crickets but lately he's even picking at those. He is active and watches us still so I don't think it brumation.
His basking side is 95-100 deg and his UVB light is a Reptisun 10. He has plenty of room with a tank this size and often times I find him on the other side or on the bottom of his tank and when I touch him he is cold. I will put him up on his basking hammock so he can warm up and sometimes he will stay there others he gets down. We took him to the pet store the other day just as an outing and several of the employees that have beardies said he was really attractive. Why would he let himself get so cold when he can just go to the basking area? I gave him a bath this AM which we are trying to do more often since he doesn't eat much for veg. today I actually noticed him drinking his bath water for quite a while which he doesn't do often.
any idea why he lets himself get cold? Or about not eating? Even when he is nice and warm he isn't interested in the veggies either

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Actually that sounds almost exactly like a low-level brumation to me.

That's pretty much the exact same behavior that Mello's been doing for
a couple of months now. She's awake, but sluggish and wants to stay
in the shade away from the lights. Rarely eats, but hasn't completely stopped.

schwemermatt

Original Poster
Really, eventho he isn't sluggish and is awake most of day? I've read some on that subject but being a new owner for a few mts I'm still learning. He has a big log type thing he could go into to get out of the light but he only went in once. I hope that is what he's doing and will come out of this stage and start eating those veggies better. Then I can relax knowing that nothing is wrong. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom