Coil lights, are they all bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from General Discussion forum

Hi, the Megaray gives off a lot of light on its own, do you have that coil UVA bulb close to the MVB or on the opposite side? What wattage Megaray did you get and how far away is it from your beardies basking site? Did the problem catching the crickets only just start since putting in the Megaray and coil UVA bulb?

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The light is on the other side of the tank, I have the 100w mega ray, the closest she can get to the mega ray is 12"

I don't think the missing the food started with the mega ray - i've had both lights since Feb - I did just try her on silk worms which is where i notice the misses the most. but she had been missing her veggies before this. Funny she doesn't miss the super worms too often. Maybe it only happens with food she isn't too keen on eating??? I'd switch it out to a regular bulb - but I think that would make her viv too hot? It is 2'x4'x18"

She isn't closing her eyes more than she did before, which I have noticed posted with a lot of the other light issues

Thanks for your help

Liz

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you maybe have white on the bottom of the tank and it makes it hard to see the white silkworms? Or, maybe she isn't sure of the best way to grab them since they're something new for her.

To be honest, I did try a energy saver coil UVA bulb in Gizmo's tank and I noticed that he was closing his eyes a lot so I went back to a standard 25 watt bulb and he acts better. I didn't think the coil UVA's are supposed to be rough on the eyes but after seeing Gizmo, I now wonder about it. Just my thoughts.

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If this could be a problem would switching to a reptisun work - would it be ok to get a 36" or would you recommend the 48 and run it on an angle across the viv? I don't want to be hurting her, but I'm not sure that I am... then I guess I could put in a household bulb instead of the coil? Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Liz

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No, it's a red tile - and i've been putting them in a brown dish - it's almost looks like she doesn't really want to eat them - but she's hungry and they're moving so she makes a half hearted effort to get them - after a few tries she gives up and walks away. But she doesn't seem to have a problem if they are on the end of my fingers - maybe she is trying to get pampered?

Liz

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, since you have a Megaray and they give off lots of UV rays, I would recommend using another UVB besides. If you want to just give off light, then you could get a standard fluorescent light like they sell at Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot that you would use over a kitchen sink, basement or garage and that would put more light on the cool side. If the basking side is bright enough, you could always get an 18 or 24" fluorescent light, non UVB.

It does sound like she likes the hand feeding of the silkies instead. :p My female was never very fond of silkies, prefers horns or butters instead, so maybe it's a "female thing." :mrgreen:

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, i'll make a stop at Rona tomorrow and see if I can find a fixture for a smaller fluorescent light (wow fluorescent is spelled weird!!!)

Thanks again, she likes the butters and horns better too - was just trying the silkies out for a change from the supers she normally eats.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, fluorescent is spelled strange, it's easy to switch the letters around. Let me know how you make out with the new fixture.

A change is a good idea, did you every try dubias? Glad to help anytime. :wink:

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No, I've thought about them, they may be something I try when I get a job where I don't move around all the time (environmental adviser on oil and gas projects). The supers are great for that, and cheap. But I see all the other people raving about them on here - so I'm sure I will try it. How many would an adult eat in a day?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, supers are great & cheap. I actually find dubias easier to care for. We bought some at a reptile show over 2 yrs ago and still have some left, but not very many so I can't feed them very often. I just placed an order with The Roach Guy though. It's hard to say how many they will eat in a day because it depends on the size of the ones you feed. Actually 3 adult dubias would fill up an adult beardie. My beardies prefer the medium sized though so could eat about 6 or 8 a day with a few other feeders. They are so easy to care for and no smell at all.

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have replaced the coil light with a regular 24" daylight fluorescent light - now I guess I'll wait and see if there is any change.... she is currently basking and staring directly into the MVB - like she is trying to solve the world's problems and the answer is up there.

Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom