Cohabitat Living Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoppersMomma

Hatchling Member
I recently was given 3 babies (maybe a few weeks old). They came with a 10 gal, a Zoo Med Dual Light Fixture with a day light and Reptisun 5.0. Temps and all are okay, they are eating dubias and crickets, though they seem to prefer the dubias. One's appetite practically insatiable, one's ok, and the 'runt' doesn't seem interested in food at all.

Ok, I started to get off topic...my main question is, with them being so little (each is about 7 inches nose to tip of tail) at what age should we separate them. We have very little info about the babies...and they are obviously too little to check if they're male or female...

littleassassin2

Hatchling Member
Most people, if not all, will probably say cohabitation at any age is not okay. I've also heard though on multiple accounts of cohabitation being very successful and they form strong bonds between each other.

littleassassin2

Hatchling Member
Anytime! Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and when you build the new homes for your beardies be sure to post pics. I'm trying to get ideas for building my own also lol :roll:

CoppersMomma

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know that one issue of cohabitation is feeding...we do feed the babies individually...Just sayin

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well you said it. One issue.

There is also the issues of dominance and submission, bullying, one thrives the others survive, and territory are the first ones that come to mind.

-Brandon

thedragonkeeper

Hatchling Member
To minimize the problems that claudiusx stated, you could provide a very large enclosure, with multiple hides, basking spots, dig boxes, and salad bowls. Therefore, there will be few fights/displays of dominance. But it's best if they are separated. :)

CoppersMomma

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have expanded to a 30 gallon tank, have several hides and perches, large water bowl and few food dishes

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The "runt" is a big concern right now because if he is stressed with being housed with the others, that is a very serious situation because stress will not only raise the coccidia count but can also kill them. It would be best (and safer) to give them each their own tanks.

Actually, none of them look very happy and have lots of stress marks.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
CoppersMomma":12ekpoz6 said:
I recently was given 3 babies (maybe a few weeks old). They came with a 10 gal, a Zoo Med Dual Light Fixture with a day light and Reptisun 5.0. Temps and all are okay, they are eating dubias and crickets, though they seem to prefer the dubias. One's appetite practically insatiable, one's ok, and the 'runt' doesn't seem interested in food at all.

Ok, I started to get off topic...my main question is, with them being so little (each is about 7 inches nose to tip of tail) at what age should we separate them. We have very little info about the babies...and they are obviously too little to check if they're male or female...
..... AAAHHHHHHH --> double check on that Reptisun. is it a 5.0 or a 10.0? you need the 10.0 for beardies, the 5.0 is for tropical reptiles. what kind of heat source do you have for the night? they can see all light spectrum's (even though certain stores tell you otherwise), so a ceramic heat emitter is the best way to keep them warm at night since it doesn't give off light.

beardies often show dominance over each other, the runt may not be eating because of the other 2. you can try feeding them in a separate tub one at a time to make sure they all get to eat.

separating as soon as possible is ideal, but since they are so small you need to make sure they are all well fed so they don't nip at each other until you get their enclosures set up.

and congrats on the 3 new additions to your family. do they have names yet?

CoppersMomma

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately, it is a 5.0. I will be getting a 10 after payday this week. I am using a CHE for them at night, and I am feeding them separately to ensure everyone eats well. I can't believe that they are so picky already (as they practically turn their noses up at the crickets, but will gobble up the dubias like candy)!

I haven't come up with names just yet...the last time we had babies this small was with Copper and Onyx, and it took me a couple weeks to come up with their names :idea:

babies16_zpsf8ca7ffe.jpg

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
lol, they all have the same exact look on their faces.

bearded dragons are the pickiest eaters i have ever come across.

My female and male dragons have lived together since they were babies and I have had no issues. They are 6 months old now and are doing well living together:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom