coccidia

suniihun

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
paulie
I noticed my beardy almost coughing and assumed she had a respiratory infection so I took her to the vet. once I got there they took a stool sample and said she had coccidia. gave me the medicine etc. idk maybe I'm being paranoid, she doesn't look like she's struggling to breathe or anything. I asked the vet again and she said she doesn't think that she has ri, but is it really only coccidia? or am I just being paranoid? she doesn't have any of the other ri symptoms but idk..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I noticed my beardy almost coughing and assumed she had a respiratory infection so I took her to the vet. once I got there they took a stool sample and said she had coccidia. gave me the medicine etc. idk maybe I'm being paranoid, she doesn't look like she's struggling to breathe or anything. I asked the vet again and she said she doesn't think that she has ri, but is it really only coccidia? or am I just being paranoid? she doesn't have any of the other ri symptoms but idk..
Post the lab results for fecal please

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If it is Coccidia meds alone won't really work. You have to break it's life cycle. It has to be pooped out and then reingested in order to multiply. So the long term solution is to keep the habitat sanitized. Most cleaners won't kill it. Bleach will not. Strong ammonia or high heat (200ish degrees) kills it. Both have to be in contact with it for about 10 minutes to kill it. Ammonia is toxic and can harm your beardie if not rinsed out AND aired out well. Them tracking through their poop and then "testing" their environment with their tongue is how it's reingested, it's critical to clean up the poop asap. You will also need to sanitize or replace all the decore, substrate, ect.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom