Coccidia steam cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beardie name(s)
Shroom
We are about to start treatment for coccidia (have already started pinworm treatment) and I was curious if anyone knows how long you need to hold the steam over a specific area to kill sanitize from coccidia. I’ve tried googling it but I cannot find any info stating how long a specific area must be steamed/what temp to consider it sanitary as far as coccidia goes. I have a steamer & an IR gun so I’m able to measure the surface temp directly under my steam- just unsure about time. I will also be using F10SC. We are doing paper towel as substrate until this is all behind us, I can boil her fabric hammock, and I’m able to sanitize her basking hut that we keep in there for her. Aside from tiny food bowl & water dish, that’s all she has for now. If anyone can help with the amount of time steam needs to work for coccidia, I’d appreciate it. I’ve been reading through similar parasite threads on here and they have been a wealth of information!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When I've steam cleaned I typically hold the nozzle over a specific area for a good 20-30 seconds. It takes a while to sanitize using this method, depending on the size of the steamer nozzle. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot when you are also using the F10. I'd probably clean, then sanitize using the steam, then hit the area with F10 and let that sit for 10 min or so and let it dry or rinse/wipe it off at that point. That should be plenty in terms of sanitizing surfaces. Focus mainly on any areas that come in contact with poop once you've done an overall cleaning. Probably no need to revisit every surface at every cleaning otherwise.

MarleyAndLennon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shroom
When I've steam cleaned I typically hold the nozzle over a specific area for a good 20-30 seconds. It takes a while to sanitize using this method, depending on the size of the steamer nozzle. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot when you are also using the F10. I'd probably clean, then sanitize using the steam, then hit the area with F10 and let that sit for 10 min or so and let it dry or rinse/wipe it off at that point. That should be plenty in terms of sanitizing surfaces. Focus mainly on any areas that come in contact with poop once you've done an overall cleaning. Probably no need to revisit every surface at every cleaning otherwise.
Thank you for your reply! When using F10 to deal with coccidia what dilution do you use? I saw a few options and want to make sure I’m not going overboard- I think the one I was going to use is 1:125

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom