coccidia help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdraak

Hi All

I have treated my beardie (Zora) I think 4 times now for coccidia, I clean her out and disinfect all her stuff every time she goes to the loo. She only has paper down at the moment, 1 log and her rock (took everything else out in case it was harbouring the disease)
She is very healthy other than this.
I need some pointers please to help us beat this, is there anything better I can be doing??
I really hate giving her the medicine, I just feel so sorry for her :(

Any help is much appreciated
:)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you happen to know the count of the coccidia this time? Remember, that most likely she will have very low levels of coccidia normally as they are known to be part of their normal gut flora in the GI tract. As long as they do not take over their systems then, most of the time the low counts do not affect them at all & no medication is needed.
Was she being affected by it, such as loss of appetite, lethargic behavior or loose & smelly stools?
It sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing to keep it clean in her tank.
What type of disinfectant are you using?
What do you feed her?

Tracie

kdraak

Original Poster
Not sure of the count, it was quite high originally.
Some days she seems lathargic and her poo is sometimes runny but not all the time, only smelt bad a few times.
She eats fine (fits and spurts with her veg, but is only 6/7 months old) she has a mix of black crickets and locusts and the odd wax worm, with fresh veg every day.
she is very active when you take her out till it hits her lights out time and at 7pm no matter where she is she will just go to asleep, quite funny really.

I will enquire about the count, just wanted to know I was doing everything I could be.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like you are doing everything that you need to be doing. You could get a steamer to clean the tank.
What type of lighting are you using, do you use UVB lights? If so, what type & brand are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
What type of substrate are you using?
I would be very cautious about medicating too frequently with antibiotics, or it can greatly disturb her normal flora & put her at risk for yellow fungus. Make sure you use probiotics during her medication round.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom