Coccidia and Strongyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMitch

I need help. My new beardie Spike has been battling parasites for a month now. He has been on meds (albon)? (bottle is upstairs) for 20 days. The latest poop sample came back with the same +4 for coccidia and +2 for strongyles. He has a good appitite and eats everything in site. But in the past 5 days his poop has been really - really runny.
I dont know how to get rid of these parasites. I boil his feeding dishes - bake his stone and branch in the oven for 30 min at 250 every week. I spray his tank with bleech solution and wipe it clean every week. Baths. I have tried to just leave him alone thinking maybe just stress related. I am at the end of my rope and in need of some advice.... please. Any suggestions would be helpful.
He is in a 40 gallon tank - 75 on the cool side and between 95 and 100 on the basking side. All my lighting is good - have the tube flourecent lighting and he does not seem lazy. I just orded a MVB light to replace my basking bulb (100watt) and my tube flourecent.
If anyone has any advice... i have HUGE ears to listen with!!!!! Thanks much. :dontknow: Cuz i am clueless.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know the dosage of medications that he is on? What is his weight? Let me know the dosages & the concentration of the Albon so I can double check the doses. Is he on Flagyl or metronidazole also?
Are you using any probiotics daily to help his appetite out?
The best way to get rid of the coccidia & strongyloids is what you are doing. Just keep everything clean, & use paper towels on the bottom of his tank for easy clean up.
If you can get him potty trained to go in his bath then you wont have to worry about having a mess in his tank, that can help alot.

Tracie

MitchMitch

Original Poster
I called the vet back last night and they are going to give me new meds.
(Is he on Flagyl or metronidazole also? ) This is what they are going to give me next. I have to bring him in tomo to have him weighed so they can give me the correct dosage.
His appetite has been good.. he eats his crix 2 times a day and his greens. I freshen his greens 2xs a day.
But what kind of probotics can i purchase?
I currently use newspaper at the bottom of his tank - he is very good at going on the cool side. Usually picks the same spot every day. I try to soak him in the bath to get him to go in the water to keep the levels low in his tank.. and to keep him hydrated. My husband and I both work... and are trying hard to keep on top of this.
When i get my MVB bulb.... how close is he allowed to get to that? And do i have to remove the screen for that as well?

MitchMitch

Original Poster
MitchMitch":39412 said:
I called the vet back last night and they are going to give me new meds.
(Is he on Flagyl or metronidazole also? )
This is what they are going to give me next. I have to bring him in tomo to have him weighed so they can give me the correct dosage.
His appetite has been good.. he eats his crix 2 times a day and his greens. I freshen his greens 2xs a day.
But what kind of probotics can i purchase?
I currently use newspaper at the bottom of his tank - he is very good at going on the cool side. Usually picks the same spot every day. I try to soak him in the bath to get him to go in the water to keep the levels low in his tank.. and to keep him hydrated. My husband and I both work... and are trying hard to keep on top of this.
When i get my MVB bulb.... how close is he allowed to get to that? And do i have to remove the screen for that as well?

MitchMitch

Original Poster
So after one month of meds... Spike is no better. I took him back to the vet today, his weight is up from 126grams to 176grams in just 1 month. He has been eating - but parasites are still there. +4 for the coccidia and +2 for the strongyles.
The vet gave him a dose of Pyrantal Pamoate (Stronngid) today for the treatment of the Strongyles.
And i got Trimethoprim Sulfa Suspension for him... twice a day.... .17mls.
He has had aweful poops. I recently purchased a MVB by ZooMed (Powersun) 160 Watt. He seems to like it. How long do i need to keep that on for? Still the 12-14 hour day? He normally goes to bed/lights off between 0830 and 0900PM central time. And it usually up at 0700AM central. But lately he has been going to his sleep spot around 0730 - 0800PM central time - I am not sure if i should turn his lights out for him? Or keep them on? Lights go on at 0700AM Central every day.
I am just not sure what to do...... hot side is now about 100 with the new MVB and its about 10inches away from his basking spot. Cool side is about 80.
IF anyone can assist me in posting a pic. I have one of his set up.. but cant figure out how to do it!!! Thanks.

makubex01

Hatchling Member
Does coccidia cause sluggish movements and barfing from the beardie? Does it also cause death if untreated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom