closing one eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrameth

just a quick question.. i know yall are probably sick of me by now lol! i see charlie closing one eye at a time often and leaving the other open.. he has done this pretty much since i got him.. its not a permanent thing just like.. one eye closes for a few secs then opens and he will do it with both as far as i can tell.. any reasons for this? temps all normal.. he eats and poops just fine.. maybe this is just a . keep one eye open in the realm of enemys thing til he gets used to everyone in my house? he closes both sometimes when just with me..

anyone seen this behavior before with there babys?

Serrameth

Original Poster
basking temps are 100-105 or so his bulb is a powersun murcery 3in one uvb heat and light. dont have a temp gun yet but one of those little sticky.. temp reading inside cage thingies? and cool side in day is 80+ though he sure does love to bask!.. i have a red night time light for him that is much less hot and his night temps get around 70-75.

Tata

My dragon usually does that (closing one eye) when I stroke it in the head...I thought it should be a reaction to that....

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
My beardie used to do this but hasn't done it for about 2 months now so not a clue!!

Also you really need to get a digital thermometer or a temp gun. Those stick on thermometers are useless, they can be as much as 20f +- off.

punkrockprincess

Hatchling Member
what brand of uvb? Beardies on reptiglo seem to do that (both mine did) because its so bright. When I switched to reptisun they both stopped.

Amber31190

Hatchling Member
Both of my beardies do this also. But I always thought they close there eyes is cause they were scared. I hope someone can anwser you question. I'm curious myself about this.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
The eye closing usually is because of a bad bulb. I just purchased a Megaray before they were recalled and this happened to me. The condition is called photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. Are the bottom eyelids a little more white than normal? I believe its like a mild burn to the very sensitive eye lid. It is painful for the beardie, thats why they close their eyes. its like having sand in your eyes. I've heard that that powersun can cause this problem alongth wit the Reptiglo bulbs.

relab

mine does this as well. I have a standard heat lamp for his basking area, and a uv-b bulb. That's what the pet store recommended. I'm using the Repti Glo 10.0 13w

What lighting bulb etc.. would you recommend??

STR3TCH420

Hatchling Member
relab":fb07c said:
mine does this as well. I have a standard heat lamp for his basking area, and a uv-b bulb. That's what the pet store recommended. I'm using the Repti Glo 10.0 13w

woo man from what ive learned repti glo is rally bad its gonna cause eye problems bad switch to a repti sun 10.0 thats way better and for heatlamp how many wats is it

relab

STR3TCH420":d8c60 said:
relab":d8c60 said:

woo man from what ive learned repti glo is rally bad its gonna cause eye problems bad switch to a repti sun 10.0 thats way better and for heatlamp how many wats is it

Yea, after I posted this I did a little more reading, and realize the reptiglo is no good (i'm takin it back to the pet store that recommended it for a refund), and to let them know these lights are no good for dragons. I'm going to PetCo first thing tomorrow and getting the ReptiSun uv-b bulb. I turned off the ReptiGlo as soon as I read about the eye problems(about 30mins ago)

The heat lamp is the 60w I was using for my gecko. I have one of the sticky thermo's, but have read that they are terrible as well. Potentially being 20 degrees off..wtf!!!!! It's great to have a forum like this to get the proper knowledge for these animals, because I'm realizing that pet store owners/workers have no idea what they are talking about.

I've only had my dragon for a day now, so hopefully I didn't burn him too bad!! (check the intro's thread if you'd like to see picts of him)

Thanks for the reply..

acwood04

Hatchling Member
Yeah the people in the pet stores don't know what they are talking about. Return that reptiglow bulb and get the Reptisun TUBE florescent. If they dont have the tube, dont get the compact florescent reptisun. You can get the right reptisun 10.0 tube florescent online at petmountain.com for like 20 bucks cheaper. You also need a digital thermometer. One with a probe on it. You can get a fixture for the tube at either petco or petsmart, they are by the fish supplies. They are a little more expensive, but look a little nicer sitting on top of the screen. Its the part that holds the bulb and sits on top of the aquarium canopy. There are much cheaper ways to do it too you can buy a fixture from homedepot or lowes, but I have had trouble finding one that would work since the fixture wont be screwed in to a wall. What size viv do you have? is it glass or wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom