Closing of One Eye - The trust game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[This thread has been unlocked as requested by the OP. A good topic for more discussion for sure.]

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks Diane.

Have some updates planned for the thread but really too tired to work on it tonight! :study:

-Brandon

aegillesp

Hatchling Member
I know I've only had Simon for a few months, but I think he closes an eye out of relaxation... When he is in a spot he doesn't like or an action I do that he doesn't like he backs away from it. When I pet his head I start with his nose first and then go towards the back, sometimes he closes one, sometimes both. Sometimes when I pet his head or under his chin he just backs away from me then I stop. I feel when he does this it's a sign of stress/something he doesn't like. Simon will sit on my shoulder or chest for a pretty long time without trying to run and sometimes not even touching him he will close one eye. When my boyfriend holds him he runs and gets all squirmy, which indicates to me he has pretty good trust in me. He's never hissed at me or flared his beard. Like I said earlier, I've only had him for almost 3 months and this is what I have observed.

Kilana

This has been boggling me for a long time! Well, a month anyway! I've had Enkou for a month, and he still does it to me from time to time. Most of the time he is lounging on my chest or shoulder while I walk around, sometimes he does it even when I am relaxed and laying back. Though when we're both relaxing, sometimes it starts with one eye closing, followed by both eyes. I've been enjoying reading all the theories regarding this behavior, and I look forward to hearing more!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Kilana":1dgshi9g said:
I've been enjoying reading all the theories regarding this behavior, and I look forward to hearing more!
Same here, I hope more people will continue to contribute their experiences and theories as well. Maybe one day we can pin this behavior to a certain cause or reason.

-Brandon

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Wow very interesting theories. I have had Noodle for about 3 weeks now and I notice when I hold her she would close one eye I always thought something was wrong but this thread has put my mind to ease but I would love to know why she does.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yup, i'm pretty sure some of the theories can be basically omitted as I'm not sure I believe in some of them anymore, but figured why not keep all the theories we can come up with in one place and just discuss on those.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Long overdue bump, but figured it would be good to get this interesting topic going again. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.. LOL.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was told or read that if they close one it is them focusing on something out of the other eye--- Hiccup closes his right eye alot -- so I am not exactly sure of what hes doing - he does it out of the tank as well as in the tank --- also if I pet the top of his head he closes both eyes- that I would be a sign of trust to me
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah, I think it's most likely to do with focusing on an object.

I do think closing 1 eye and closing both are separate behaviors though. A lot of my dragons will close both eyes when their heads are being petted.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm glad you bumped this up. It seems like in the few beardie circles I visit this topic has come up more frequently. In the first post you mention from your observations dragons don't close one eye alone. With my dragon I have observed her closing 1 eye at a time. I might be on the couch and I noticed her one eye shut, then I turn my head fully to look, Devlyn will look right back at me opening both eyes (or opposite, turning away so I can't see her eyes). From the camera I installed recently I have seen her do the one eye closed when no humans are around. This isn't enough of anything to make a conclusion, but maybe it is a normal behavior that is hard to observe. Logically if I, a human, am sitting in a sunny spot and don't have a hat or sunglasses I close an eye to limit light. Could be an eye strain reducing built in instinct that also happens when there isn't enough light...lizard brain and that.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Very interesting observation!

Technology comes in handy once again.

It's very interesting that you have been able to see her do this while completely alone. It does add credence to the thought that maybe they do it simply to prevent strain on the eye from the lighting.
I think that's very possible.

I think it's also possible that there isnt just 1 reason, but I think you make a very valid observation. I'll add it to the first post and link it to your post once I get home :)

Part of what I love about this site. Everyone has different experiences and opinions and that's how we grow and learn as a community. That goes for lots of different aspects of their health and husbandry.
*steps off my soap box* :lol:

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
If I really went crazy and did a N=1 study just on Devlyn on documenting any behavior that might be interesting, but I don't think I am that crazy yet. (Yet...lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom