Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I cant see the pictures your posting, but i would be able to if you went to https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ uploaded a pic came back, and then hit the XIMG tab to select it so i could see it. Make sure to post a picture of his enclosure as well along with what uvb he has, heat, how your monitoring temps etc. Basically just give me a full run down of his whole tank as well.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay well his tail is completely normal, nothing wrong that i see however the setup for the lighting is a bit wrong. They see all colors we do if not more so having a red night light is like being in a room with a red lighting shining into your eyes all night. And he may eventually get to sleep but he isnt going to be sleeping very well, they have different stages of sleep just like we do and i believe most animals do as well. So if you can take that red light back to the store unless you can use it for something thats not an animal. Unless its below 65 at night they dont need any heating at night and if it is below that then you need a CHE (heat emitter) produces no light and only heat.

I would get a different basking bulb as well, colored lights in general are bad on their eyes and can mess up different things that they see. You can go with one of those regular basking lights that are for reptiles or you can go for a halogen bulb, and i recently switched from a bright reptile basking light to a 75 watt halogen bulb, sadly burned my female bearded dragons enclosure because i didnt realize that they get so hot so i have to mount it a foot or so above the basking spot instead of on the mesh of the 36x18x18 enclosure. Luckily nothing too bad happened just a bit of plastic got melted.

As for the uvb if its a coil/compact bulb (ones that go in a dome light) your beardie inst getting any uvb currently. It sucks that petstores sell and give crap advice to people new to reptile owners. We all go through it, but what you'll want to get if you have that is a Reptisun t5 HO 10.0 tube light, depending on the enclosure size usually a 22" or a 30" works well with a reflective fixture. Just so you know 10 gallons or lower isnt enough for any age and 20 gallon is the absolute minimum. Look on amazon for one, they usually have it cheaper than in stores and stay away from eBay as they are quite risky and lie.

As for the heating rock you need to unplug it so that your beardie does not get burned if it malfunctions. You can still use it, just you cant have it turned on. They need above lighting rather than belly heat like a ball python or a leopard gecko. Sometimes my beardies do "bask" on my keyboard because it feels warm and they like it however it isnt in their enclosure where they could fall asleep on it or it'll get way too hot and burn them.

And for the way your monitoring temps i just wanna tell you those things are completely useless sadly, you want either a temp gun (gets the exact spot right away) or a digital temperature gauge with a probe so you can make sure the basking spot and not the air temp is 100-108 or so. Dont ever let it get above 110 or 115 for the basking spot. And the cool side should stay around 70-80.

I do have a few more questions though,
what are you feeding him,
how many times a day are you feeding him,
how much are you feeding him each feeding,
what supplements are you using and how many times a week do you give him those supplements on his insects.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im not telling you what i think is best for him, its general care that should be given and is all fact. Any expert on here could tell you the same thing. I may be young, and only joined this forum since 2016 which this forum is so helpful with so many care sheets, but what i say is true and you can look at the care sheets on here that ive learned from and compare it to what i say.
Just know this whatever you do effects his health greatly.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I agree. If your husbandry is not correct he will eventually get sick. We're just trying to help you and your little fella since he is completely dependent on you for his well being. :D

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
It is not only about the size of the tank only. It's about lights and temps. Those are vital to a healthy dragon. You think a vet is cheap? Not so just to get my beardies an x-ray was 140.00 and it was another 40.00 bucks just to have her look at her. So it's cheaper in the long run to get the proper set up. Maybe you can take your lights back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom