Closed eyes and very limp and lathargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Can anyone give me some advice please?

Liz has closed her eyes today and gone very limp and sleepy. i pick her up and she opens her eyes then closes them again. she was very cold because she had been laid in her hiding spot so i warmed her up on her basking spot and she is still the same.

She has been eating and pooing normally until today. eating greens with fruits and crickets.

im sure ive read somewhere about MVB lights causing eye problems? could it be related to that?
i have a megaray 100W MVB which was brand new last week after her last one was replaced.

Her Tank set up is:
Light: 100W Megaray MVB
substrate: sand - yes i know its not the best but shes been on it a year now
size: 4 x 2 x 2

Liz is two year old and has had a past history of not pooping for 2 month which the Vet sorted with medicine and regular visits.

we have noticed that she has been a little more lazy recently but had healthy apertite, pooing and eyes where still open.
Hope someone has some advice :(

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
First, just to make sure, turn off the MVB and plug in a white basking light for heat to see what happens. If her eyes open it may be the MVB. I know you said it's a mega ray and, up until last Fall sometime, they were the best mvb's around. They got some glass that doesn't work good with mvb's and have had problems since. If it seems like she gets better after turning the bulb off, contact reptileuv and let them know what happened, they will make it better, as they've been doing that quite a lot lately.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how things turn out when you turn the light off. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im currently at work at the moment. so i cant do this myself.
I can ask my partner to turn off the MVB but we dont have any normal basking lights.
I will pop to Wilko after work to get a spot light that will fit the same fixture as my MVB.

will update you all later.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
question - if my partner turned off the lights now (09:45am) , would Liz be ok until 18:00 pm when i can get to a store to get a spot light?

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have phoned them this morning and they was very helpful. they said they have switched manufacturers recently and have got rid of all the old stock. The new bulbs have been tested apparently. They are sending me a replacement for nothing.

In the mean time i will be purchasing a spot light to keep the temps up in the viv until the new bulb arrives.

beardie parents":31hgtelu said:
First, just to make sure, turn off the MVB and plug in a white basking light for heat to see what happens. If her eyes open it may be the MVB. I know you said it's a mega ray and, up until last Fall sometime, they were the best mvb's around. They got some glass that doesn't work good with mvb's and have had problems since. If it seems like she gets better after turning the bulb off, contact reptileuv and let them know what happened, they will make it better, as they've been doing that quite a lot lately.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i replaced the MVB with a spot light for the time being.
i bathed her because i noticed that the skin is peeling around her eyes and jaw.
i used a swob with warm water on her eyes...her left eye has since been opening and she was looking alert. the right eye still wont open though. the left eye stays open for a minute then closes but opens up again time to time. this is a big improvement because the day/night before she wouldnt even do that.

is there something i should do or should i just wait?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, for now, just keep the basking light over her for at least 1 week or so before putting any other UVB source over her to make sure her eyes are healed up with no other complications.
Is she eating anything?

Tracie

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
shes eating a few greens every day. not a great deal though.
she had both eyes open for about an hour last night! which she hasnt done for a while now.
i will just hold on for a week or so.
Megaray are sending me a replacement bulb that they assured me that its come from a new manufactorer and has been tested and signed off as not causing any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom