Cleo's terrarium, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleosmama

Hi All, I just settled Cleo in her new terrarium which measures 36" x 18" x 16". I have ceramic tile with a rough surface as a substrate and a T5 hood. I also have 2 Reptisun 75W dome fixtures and a ceramic bulb on the warm side and a Coil UVB dome light on the cool side to supplement the T5. I bought a T10 long bulb but it doesn't fit the fixture so not sure if the T5 is sufficient given the 16" height of the terrarium? Cleo is around 6 1/2 months old and she is 14" long. She has been eating super worms with no problem (she was eating crickets for four months and then started refusing them). She. Eats her greens and squash and an occasional piece of blueberry. She's a real sweetheart and has no problem being handled. We also have an octagonal playground for her but, as we live in central Florida,it's just been too humid to take her outside. :( oh, and I dust her insects with calcium every other day.....

Cleosmama

Original Poster
Also, how do I post more pics? When I hit the XIMG the photo I already posted comes up and there doesn't seem to be a way to post more?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you uploaded the photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ They should all be available via a menu when you press the XIMG button.

Are you using a basking light? If not, I would move the ceramic to the cool side and only use it as needed (temps below about 65 overnight or below 70 in the day) and use the other fixture for a basking light to achieve proper temp gradients while having a nice bright light over the basking site. Your T5 will be plenty for the tank. I'd set it to the basking side and either slightly forward or backward so there is an additional gradient as you move away from the light. Having options available is key. I use the same sized enclosure and it looks like this:

76248-8383156387.jpg

76248-2823883230.jpg

Cleosmama

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes, the two 75w reptisun lights are on the warm side. They were only bringing the temp on the warm side to 90 F so that was why I added the ceramic dome light as well. The warm side is now 110 F. I've followed your suggestion and turned it off. Will Cleo digest her food okay at 90 to 95 F? I also followed your suggestion to allow for a gradient of UVB. Thanks so much for the help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh OK. I misunderstood. I thought the two dome fixtures held 1 UVB light and 1 CHE. Rather you have 2 domes with basking lights in addition to the CHE and UVB, correct? I would turn off the coil UVB as it won't really add much in addition to a T5 UVB light which is good. Using the CHE in conjunction with the other basking lights is fine, especially if it bumps the temps up to 110. Shoot for 100-110 basking area with areas around that in the 90s and a cool side of 75-80 or so.

Cleosmama

Original Poster
Okay, got it. So glad the T5 is okay. I've been stressing she wasn't getting enough UVB.
image.jpg2_zpsv8df9djc.jpg
[/URL]
image.jpg1_zps2yjiqera.jpg
[/URL]

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T5 with a reflector puts out about as much UVB as mid morning sunlight at about 12'' or so. They're very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom