Cleaning dubia bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I've had my dubia for about 2 months now. How do I know when I need to clean out their bin? My bin is pretty small (about the size of a 5 gallon aquarium) so I'm not sure if I should be cleaning it more often.
And how am I supposed to get all the itty bitty babies out of the crap? I don't want to accidentally throw them away!

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
I've had my dubia 2-2.5 months I have not cleaned them out once, other than removing old food to put in new. My turkistans though I have cleaned out a couple times, they seem to have a higher output lol.

JDRoaches

Juvie Member
You can use a colander to shake out the frass. I dump whatever is left on the bottom of my bins into a colander and shake away.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i use a combination of a kitty litter scoop for the adults and a colander the little babies. i just cleaned out my colony thats in a big tank it took me almost 2 hours.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
It might sound awful but I just used a sweeper hose attachment to clean mine out. I had about 4 or 5 k Dubia too.

If you sift the nastiness around a bit before turning it on and continuously hit the side of the bin the roaches usually scatter away for the egg flats or anywhere else to hide. If your really careful you'll scarcely suck up a roach at all. Even with 5,000 roaches I still managed to only suck up a handful of babies each cleaning. (And I cleaned about twice a week, spoiled 6 legged monsters)

Naturally I had to switch sweeper bags a lot but honestly I couldn't be bothered to do it any other way. I could clean out the entire bin, which was about 40 in long in less then 20 minutes. Any babies I lost would be back in spades within a week. The only negative is sometimes... the sweeper doesn't kill them and you start wondering what your cat is playing with..

....yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom