Cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki05

Stupid question, But I don't know if I've been cleaning out my enclosures correctly.

What should I use?

I'm currently using the wipe out one from zoo med on the tank itself weekly, and on the carpet. I spot clean the carpet daily and as needed. for the furniture I have no clue what is best. I've read vinegar solution, bleach solution, ammonia solution, store bought products (Which get pricey!).

I've been mostly using bleach but then read it doesn't actually kill everything!

I'm trying to do everything right for these little guys (or girls) and every time I think I've got it figured out I find something else out that isn't right, or could be better!

Thank for any advice/help! :]

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I used a vinegar & water solution to clean my entire tank and baked the logs/sticks I used as furniture. My dragon was healthy so I saw no need to try and kill every bacteria that may exist in her enclosure. Among other things, want to give the immune system some exercise so that it stays strong. If your dragon is unhealthy then of course more stringent cleaning measures may be needed.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Nikki05":9ujes3m6 said:
I've been mostly using bleach but then read it doesn't actually kill everything!

Yep. I was so surprised when I heard that! I thought bleach killed absolutely everything :shock:
The "important" thing that bleach doesn't kill is Coccidia, but a steam cleaner or this stuff will kill it- http://www.reptiza.net/beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=249
I agree with Catalyst though, a vinegar/water solution & baking the bake-able items should be fine (unless your beardie is unwell) :)

Nikki05

Original Poster
so for the bake-able things should I soak them too and then rinse and then bake? or just bake?

I have wooden hides in the enclosures I soaked in the bleach solution and then rinsed until there were no more fumes (talk about a PITA!) and then baked at 250 for an hour. Am I doing it right?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Far as I know, baking alone should be enough. Unless you know that your items have been exposed to something dangerous, but in that case you might as well ditch those items and get something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom