Classic PowerSun problems but w/ a MegaRay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Our male beardie started showing the classic PowerSun problems from a while back about 3 days ago, but both of our beardies are under a 2 month old MegaRay. Soaking seems to help, but he still has the one eye closed all the time, and often rubs it on the tile. We have a pair housed together in a 4x2x2 with temps ~105*F. One large juvenile female and a juvenile male. The female shows no signs on the eye issue, but she has had blood in her stool for about a week now. I consulted with Dr. Chris Tabaka after gave a lecture in my class and he suggested witholding bugs for a few days and resuming on relatively small prey. Tomorrow will be their first day back on bugs.

Can anyone shed some light on either issue, particularly the eye problem. As soon as we can afford it we are going to get stool samples done, but we just had a puppy in the vet last week for $250.

ThyTempest

Original Poster
I would have to measure to be exact, but it is a 2 foot high enclosure with no furniture with a low profile socket/fixture, so the base of the bulb is right up to the top of the enclosure. From the front of the bulb to the tile I would say it is about 15 inches or so, I will measure it in the morning to be sure.

Symptoms presented slightly 3 days ago, we cleared the goop out of his eye, only yesterday and today displayed the constant one eye closed.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Whats the distance from the basking point to the bulb and what is the wattage of the Megaray?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
The light should be 12-14 inches away! You may not be getting the correct UVB on him! Try to adjust it and see it it gets better! If not he may need to go to the vet! He could of had an eye infection before that never cleared up! Try rinsing it with some saline solution and using some eye antibiotics like Terramycin! Also you may want to separate the 2 dragons! Not only because of them being solitary reptiles but also you don't want the other dragon to come down with it! Hope this helps and just my 2cents good luck!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well it could be the distance but I wouldnt think that distance would cause an eye issue.I know its a Megaray and they are indeed the best IMO but lets just see of it is possible you may have a bad one.Can you turn it off for a day or so and replace it with a non-uvb bulb and lets see if that does anything?If it does then my advice to you is to contact Bob Mac right away and get a replacement bulb which he should do at no cost to you.If it doesnt get better then it isnt the bulb and a vet may be required. Listen as with any and all products there is always the chance of getting a defective one so for now lets assume that is what happened until we see if there is any improvement without the light.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Very true Vicky!! I had a bad one! When it went on it wasn't very bright at all and after awhile it was a yellowish tint to it! :roll:

ThyTempest

Original Poster
I didn't turn on the MegaRay today, and no improvement yet. I have already had to return one faulty bulb to Mac Industries, and they don't cover return shipping, so if this is another bulb issue I know for a fact I won't want a replacement, I would expect a refund.

On a side note, whats up with the exclamation?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Megarays do have a yellow hue to them when compared to a halogen or a bright white light type of bulb.
The distance is fine for a 100watt bulb. That is very odd that you have gotten a few faulty bulbs now from Mac Industries.
What type of light fixture are you using, a ceramic based one or a plastic based one? What is the wattage rated capacity for the light fixture?
What type of substrate are you using?

Tracie

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hijack your thread! Tracie, that Megaray I had it had more of an yellow/orangeish tint also it wasn't that bright plus the bulb was flickering. So he replaced it and said it was bad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You know, bulbs can get damaged in the shipping process unfortunately. If they get thrown around that will definitely do something to the ballast.
Usually Bob is really good about replacing the lights, fast.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom