Charlie worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
ugh, never thought of the meds causing constipation. Frig...I think I'll stop the pain meds and do what I can to help him otherwise. My poor boy :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What season is it in B.C ? If Charlie has never brumated this may just be what he's trying to do. I wouldn't worry too much. My beardies always brumated in cooler weather, without fail and with zero problems. I'm thinking more that Charlie is not really sick, I think it's likely brumation.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'm in NB, Atlantic side. It's Spring, but mother nature thinks it's late winter LOL - oie, we had a snowstorm the other day and today we have a huge rainstorm.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So, I'm starting to freak. He's weaker today and still straining. I've given him some water mixed with olive oil. He's straining so hard that he's gaping and I'm now worried about prolapse (which I have experienced but it sucks and I'm not in an area of financial place that can allow me to take him to a proper vet). I even bought his fav veg and he looks at it and nothing. He actually came to me today wanting help to poo ? literally walked over to me right after my work meeting was over. I've had sick rescues, this isn't my first run at poor health, but Charlie was amazing before this. I'm so lost for what went wrong or what I've done wrong I can't lose my baby!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, it does sound like a lot of discomfort + distress. Here are a few things to try. Raw honey [ regular if you don't have it ] mixed with any type of sweet potato, squash ,green bean baby food or home made slurry. A little olive oil added. A few hours later try a warmer than usual bath and gently + slowly rub his belly. This can get a b.m most of the time . Are you sure he didn't eat something causing impaction like a fake plant, rubber band, larger stone, small plastic toy, etc ?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'll make that slurry. I made one yesterday, but I didn't think of the honey and oil and probably too much of a mixture. I have been giving him baths, poor guy gets so tired he can barely lift his head. I rub his belly and warm him. I don't think he ate anything. He's a fussy boy and tends to not touch anything with his mouth that isn't what he likes. That being said, I let him roam. I modded a tv stand to use for his enclosure, but I feel like it's just not big enough.

I've been trying not to panic, but my anxiety is already high with the isolation. I've had Charlie since he was itty bitty...he's my baby. I just caught him outside his enclosure. He doesn't like to poop in it and it's obvious he was trying. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm SO sorry, I know that you;re devastated. :( Nothing anyone can say to ease your pain but my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thank you. I have a vet friend who was helping me. Because he was young and his symptoms, she suggested that he may have had congestive heart failure. It matches his symptoms and explains why nothing I did helped. She offered to do an autopsy for me, but I want to be able to bury him. My heart hurts ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
=( Saddened to hear this. He was in the best hands possible. I'm glad you were able to give him a happy life.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thank you everyone. It's been an exhausting day. I'll never get a store beardie ever again. My beardies are normally rescues, Charlie was the first ever bought from a store...I thought I'd have him so much longer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom