Charlie hasn't pooped for 1 week exam normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyMama77

Original Poster
I'm definitely keeping a close eye on his appetite. Yeah, I won't be doing anymore enemas. As for him not pooping, I'm kind of getting used to the fact that he's growing up and may have changed in his poop routine. Definitely keeping him well hydrated. Quick question, I've heard the term "Slurry" what's a slurry?

BeardyMama77

Original Poster
Ok everyone who has followed and replied to my post, in regards to Charlie Boo and his not pooping and sometimes not eating. Well this morning along with yesterday, he ate some crickets, waxworms, Phoenix worms and some greens (small amounts of each). His breakfast today consisted of 2 multivitamin dusted crickets, 3 waxworms, 5 Phoenix worms and some nibbles of collard and dandelion greens. He finally went poop on his own!!!!!!!! I'm so very happy! Here is a pic of the poop. I was wondering if it's normal to have very little urate. Does that mean he's not that hydrated?
85858-6474186731.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that he's eating, and the poo looks great for a dragon that has had a little health issue. :) Keep up with the feedings and be sure to add a bit of calcium powder a few times a week, multivitamin only once or twice weekly. I hope everything continues to improve !

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Im not sure S. fonticola would be considered normal gut flora in bearded dragons (even if its harmless...which I'm dubious of).
I found some info related to complications it has caused in birds, but saddly I lost the web page. I'll see if I can find it again.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
S. Fonticola has probably been around forever but just relatively recently discovered. I think it was also found in a crocodile/alligator and found in a bear bite wound on a human. There is not much on the Web unless you want to pay for medical journal articles published by Science Direct or the like.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed, from the sources it comes from (insects, plants, water, dirt etc) it has likely been around forever. But until it started causing problems in humans it wasn't identified as a problem. However, that does not mean it isn't problematic for animals. I wish I wouldnt have lost the info I found about it in birds. It was a bit easier to understand. But at 4 am when I was studying it I wasn't lucid enough to remember enough to rely on my memory to post any useful info.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully the antibiotics that are being prescribed will do the trick and it won't be anything harmful in the long run.

BeardyMama77

Original Poster
I called and left a message for the vet to call me, so I could ask some questions about his results. I'm also going to ask him how will the antibiotics help what he has, and possibly how he thinks he got it.

BeardyMama77

Original Poster
Hello everyone, I got some very helpful info about the Serratia Fonticola, from Charlie's former vet. Here is what he said regarding the S.Fonticola in an email.

"This is not a bacteria I have personally treated for. I just did a quick search of the veterinary journals and there is very little information. This has been documented as a cause of disease in some aquatic species including a crocodile, so it is possible that this bacterial could be the source of the problem.

It can be so difficult to know whether the presence of a bacteria actually proves whether that bacteria was causing any disease or not. This is doubly true with fecal cultures since many healthy animals are known to have bacteria that potentially cause disease but are just "passing through". For example, salmonella is known to be present in a large percentage of completely healthy reptiles.

Certainly it is worth trying to treat on the chance it is the root problem, and I hope Charlie responds.

I also know that there has been recent changes in the technology of bacterial identification. For the wildlife patients I treat we are now finding bacteria that had never been documented before. It will be quite some time to know how to put meaning to these newly available results. This may, or may not, be another factor regarding the Serratia."

Charlie has gotten his appetite back, but he has not gone poop since the last time I posted on here that he went. I'm just wondering if he's slowly becoming one of those beardys that don't poop that often.

BeardyMama77

Original Poster
So I went to Charlie's vet today, and got some hair all lubricant stuff to help him go to the bathroom. Well while I was at the vet getting it, my mom called me and said "Charlie finally went poop!!!!" I'm hoping he stays consistent.
85858-2576664035.jpg

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
GREAT! :blob8: I know it's a relief to you, not to mention Charlie. He may just be an infrequent pooper. Keep him hydrated and keep giving him a good quality salad for the ruffage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom