Charlie has something wrong!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I am trying really hard not to lose it. I thought I did everything right. He won't eat. Today I saw this -

87171-8588922838.jpg

I've put betadine on it. I'm completely broke. I have a friend who is a vet (she's the one that treated and operated on my Evee). I've sent her the picture to see if she has advice. I feel like all my knowledge has just flown our the window and I don't know what to do!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Do you have raw honey? You can mix it 50/50 with water, it has natural healing agents in it. Dab it on with a q-tip.
It looks like he might have jumped off of something and, bumped it. Its probably pretty sore.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi NB....I agree that the raw honey mix will do wonders for it. It does look like he scraped it somewhere, it doesn't look fungal or like anything serious. Him not eating today may be a coincidence but even if he's a bit sore he'll get over it soon.

Be extra sure there are no loose bugs in the tak if you use the honey. But Charlie should be fine, don't be too worried. Over the years my gang have had little [ and a few not so little ] bangs + scrapes and always healed up just fine.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Right honey! Thank You, yes I have some...I already put some betadine on it, I'll go mix the honey right now. I'm so upset. He may have in fact done it today as I saw dried blood on his tiles but no other obvious location it could have come from.

Thanks for the reassurance. After the hell I went through with Evee I'm very anxious with my Charlie.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it just looks like a scraped snoot to me too. Some honey should help clear it up. I doubt it will cause much issue in the long term. Maybe he was just rubbing his nose a bit too hard to try and loosen a shed.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
He does tend to rub it. Little bug. He's none too happy with momma for putting the betadine and then the honey mix on it lol.

Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance. You guys are amazing.

Gwen

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I treated his wound again this morning with betadine to clean it and the 50/50 mix of honey and water. He was a good boy and let me do it. My vet friend suggested seeing if the vet office would prescribe him some metacam (kitten) to help with the pain for the next couple of days as she thinks that's part of why he doesn't want to eat. I've emailed them a picture of his chin to see if they can. I really have the best vet. I wish she was still at the office I go to (she switched a few months ago but we're 'friends' on FB so I can bug her LOL {she doesn't mind}).

Thanks again for the help and reassurance. I had visions of him having mouth rot and was really freaking out.

Gwen

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Raw honey (manuka if you have it) is the go for that little injury. A couple of times per day, if you can get hold of a 14G drawing up needle and a 1ml syringe, draw about 0.3ml of honey into the syringe then draw up some boiled then cooled water (about 0.3ml) and use the needle plunger to draw the plug of water and plug of honey up and down inside the syringe a few times to mix them, the honey will dissolve .

Take the drawing needle off and deposit a drop of the honey solution on the sore. Chances are once Charlie gets a wiff of the sweet stuff , it'll not stay there very long .

You could try adding a drop of honey to a few of his bugs to encourage him to eat too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree....and I doubt he needs any pain meds. His lack of appetite is just coincidental and may even be due to the time of year just like a large number of dragons are experiencing right now [ with lots of threads posted by concerned owners currently here on this forum ]

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I don't have a syringe right now...at least I don't think I do. :study: I have raw honey, but no manuka. I've been using a Q-tip to apply it. I work full time so I can only apply it twice a day right now. I will definitely try putting some honey on the bugs. Yes, he seemed to be brumating for a while before this, so I think it's a combination of coming out of brumation + the sore chin + change in space (moved him to a new enclosure). It freaked me out seeing a sore on him :banghead: I know better LOL (supposedly). Sign...I guess that's what happens after you had a really sick rescue pass. Charlie is so babied <3

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it's very understandable that you'd be more concerned with Charlie because of your past sad experience.

And using a Q-tip is perfectly fine, it's the way I used it on my beardies. If you need to , you can just use a small plastic water bottle or soda cap to mix honey + water. When heating the tiny amount of water it only takes literally a few seconds. Something like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30041/full

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I couldn't tell his body color from the photo, but is he shedding his face/beard right now? The reason I ask is my first Dragon once lost that same exact scale during a shed, the entire scale came off and exposed that same raw spot, and it was driving him crazy because I'm assuming when they lose a scale like that and just have open, raw tissue it really does hurt. Either way, whether he lost it due to a shed or an accident, that's all it is, a scale came off of his chin and he's got some sore, raw tissue exposed. Keep putting the raw, unpasteurized honey on it, diluted, twice a day, and it will probably look a little weird once it's healed, don't be alarmed by that. When they actually lose a very pronounced scale like that it usually looks a little weird for the rest of their lives, but it's not a problem and nothing is "wrong" with it.

Metacam isn't going to help the pain from this injury at all, it's a pain/swelling medication for muscular/skeletal injuries, large, deep wounds, etc., but it's not going to help with an area of raw, exposed, external tissue like that. Imagine having an external burn or a blister that pops, that's the type of soreness he's feeling, except probably a bit worse since it's on his face. I can tell you what I did for my guy that seemed to immediately help him, I put topical Lidocaine on the area 3 times a day, which completely numbed his whole chin, and he was perfectly fine about 2 minutes after I applied a dab of it with a Q-Tip.

I always keep a tube of cream on hand at home, either 4% or 5% topical Lidocaine (strongest available over-the-counter), which I buy at Walmart or any drugstore, though Walmart is much cheaper, I think a tube of 5% Lidocaine cream costs me $6 at Walmart...LOL, now here's the weird part, it's actually the "Walmart" generic brand, but it's a Hemerrhoid cream, lol. That's the only way it's available over-the-counter (little tip from my Certified Reptile Vet years ago). It's right with the "Preparation H" creams and such at Walmart, in a little light blue and white box, and it's called something like "Hemerrhoidal Pain Relief" or similar, and it says "5% Lidocaine Cream" right on the front of the box underneath the name...I'll tell you, it's worth every penny if you burn yourself, have a blister, a bad papercut, or any other external, topical wound or injury that really hurts badly, it's completely safe, has nothing else added to it but the Lidocaine, and it completely numbs the area for hours with one little dab of it rubbed in lightly. Best $6 I've ever spent, lol...

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Never thought of lidocaine! Thanks for that tip :) And the shed makes total sense - he was shedding not long ago and that one spot was staying dark, so I tried to keep and eye on it. He's already starting to look better with the diluted honey.

This was this morning - a much happier boy. I hope he eats his honey BSFL and waxworms (I'm only using them to entice him to eat and I used a bit of honey for that too lol).
87171-9212244735.jpg

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I was shocked to see it looking so much better this morning - happily so!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom