Change the lighting NOW or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqqui

Hello,

I am new here and I have been reading all of the posts about what to do for Beardies, especially young ones. I have one juvenile, Konner who I feel like I have his tank set up right (he has the ZooMed bulbs).

I have a new baby (a little over 6 weeks old), Kaden who I just got Wednesday. I am working to get his temps correct and adjusting his lighting. I bought the ExoTerra bulbs for Kaden because my Vet stated she likes the ExoTerra bulbs better because they actually list their Illuminance and temps based on the distance you have them from the tank. Here is the question, should I change the bulbs from the ExoTerra to the Zoo Med? I see that there has been discussion about the bulbs hurting the beardies eyes. Kaden has a 20L glass tank with a mesh top. I got the ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot 100w Bulb. He is able to get as close as 4 inches from it but he generally stays around 7-10 inches from it. He has the ExoTerra Reptiglo 10.0 UVB light which goes all the length of the tank. Since the Reptiglo isn't as safe should I change both bulbs right now or wait until the 6 months when I would be changing them anyway. I just bought them Tuesday and I know the pet store wont take them back I just want to do what's safest.
Thanks in advance. I'm paranoid because these are my first beardies!

Jacqui

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jacqqi....those bulbs will be fine. The Reptiglo is a decent bulb, [ tube, not coil ] Some people will say the opposite, but that bulb is the one used by some breeders, including Tamara from Rainbow bearded dragons, one of the most trusted breeders in the U.S. Check it out, it's right on her care sheet.

Jacqqui

Original Poster
Hi AHBD,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the information. I really respect my Vet and I did like the fact that it lists the exact information about the bulbs. Kaden is a Citrus Yellow and I don't want to do anything that would affect his coloring or his eyes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just wanted to weigh in on here.
While the Reptiglo tube bulbs are decent, the UVB testing data does reveal that the UVB emissions are not as good. I have know a good amount of people here on the forum that have used the Reptiglo 10 tube & their dragons ended up with metabolic bone issues. It does take awhile for the calcium levels to become suppressed but a few months of use will be fine.
Personally, I would change the tube bulb out later to either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% tube. Their UVB:UVI ratios are much better.
As long as there is plenty of bright white light surrounding the tube bulb then the eyes should be fine.

What information did the vet list on the bulb?

Congratulations on your new baby!

Tracie

Jacqqui

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

My Vet indicated that she liked the Exoterra Reptiglo 20 Watt, bulb because on the side of it it lists the ranges of relative spectrum power and wavelength for the bulb relative to UVA and UVB. It also tells you that there is 30% UVA and 10% UVB. It also tells you that it is effective with screened tops but it loses 50% of the power depending on the distance from the highest point of where the dragon can be. This is for the Reptiglo 10.0 UVB 24inch tube bulb.
I cant find the box for the intense exoterra Basking spot lamp.
I do have a liquid Calcium supplement that they can be given. I was worried that my Juvenile wasn't eating enough so she prescribed that and I will give it to him. I have only given it to the baby once.
Since I am paranoid I will probably break down and buy the Zoo Med Reptisun Bulb.

I also have calcium with D3 and Vitamins that I give them a few days a week alternating making sure not to do the liquid D at the same time I do the powder. I also just bought Phoenix worms and Dubia Roaches so they are getting veggies and live prey.

Sorry for the slow response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom