Change in Pooping and Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazinbeardie

Hatchling Member
Ok so, Thorn is about a year old now. Normally he's pretty chill and likes to lay in his hammock with the occasional run around the cage (especially when he had to poop which he normally saved up for once or twice a week). But lately (for like the past week or so) he's been non-stop running around, up the glass, knocking things over, crazy dragon, and has been pooping every day. He had one giant gassy poop last week and then sort of diarrhea-ed the rest of that day. And he's gone almost every day since then. In addition to his poop being a lot less, it's also kind of watery but still has the normal white and brown. He's also been eating about half of what he was, a mixture of crickets and butterworms with collard greens as his staple veggie, but I'm not sure if the appetite is part of this or if he's just done growing now and doesn't need as much to eat. His cage temps are fine and I just replaced his UV bulbs last week (perhaps a couple months later than I should have). Anybody have any idea what his deal is?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....are you 100% positive that Thorn is a male ? Sometimes females will act that way prior to laying.

blazinbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh geez... umm... well I did think he was a girl for a while when he was younger, but then thought that his tail bulges and femoral pores looked more like a boy... Maybe not. My last dragon was a major alpha male, and Thorn's personality/temperament/behavior/size is so much different. If he is actually a girl, how long would he/she act like this until laying? Would this also account for the change in pooping?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, some females will make more frequent + smaller poos.

If you'd like to post a few pics with his[ or her ] tail arched up high I can probably tell you for sure what the gender is.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, you can rule out pre-laying behavior....Thorn is a boy. :) He is just being restless. It may be that for some beardies this time of year they start feeling the urge to find a good spot to brumate. If you let him out to run in the house [ supervised, and after checking for anything on the floor he might swallow ] he will probably look for a spot to hide. That's just one theory, but there are other reasons why they get antsy out of the blue.

blazinbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Haha alright! That's good to know, glad his boy-ness is confirmed! I'll try and let him out more to run around; we've been away and its harder now with the cooler weather (and other bigger animals running around). Should I do anything or rearrange his cage or give him something extra in there to help him chill out, like something plush? He has a rock cave to hide in and a few other logs and stuff to push around and a hammock. Or Anything I should watch out for that would signal time for a vet visit?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Other than letting him run around a bit to burn off energy you might want to have a fecal check done just to rule out parasites. That could definitely cause a change in his pooing habits + consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom