Ceramic fumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova1014

Hatchling Member
First off Merry Christmas! I know the likely hood of someone being on here today is slim, but ill give it a shot!

Last night for our family Christmas I received a ceramic heat emitter for miss Nova. It is a 100 watts in a 110 gallon (custom) viv. I put it in last night when her lights went off to test it out today to see if it gets hot enough. However after a half hour of it being on it started to stink. My first reaction was oh crap, its burning. However my father reassured me it was not, and it was most likely burning off the paint as it was brand new. The light socket has had 100 & 150 heat bulbs in it, so that is used to the heat, so Ithink its purely coming from the ceramic emitter. Has anyone else experienced this? My first and most obviois concern is whether or not my little girl can breath those in.. or if they go away? I went up several minutes ago and the stink has reduced, but Iwanted some other inputs. Thanks in advanced! And have a very wonderful holiday!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I would def. turn it off. I don't use them myself, and they are designed to add extra heat at night if temps. go below 65. Is that what you were going to use it for ? For daytime, beardies need a bright hot tank, you can even use common house bulbs as long as they get the temp. up enough. At any rate, enjoy your new beardie, they are wonderful and fun little pets.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Hi. Yes, I've noticed that two CHEs I had smelled like smoke and I'd turn it off. Then one night, I went to turn it on and the ceramic element and ceramic around the element started chipping off the CHE until it broke. I contacted the manufacturer about the issue and they told me there were no recalls or any reports of anything wrong with it. I took it back, got another, and had the same issue with it. I contacted the manufacturer again and this time, they said there had to be something wrong with the CHE and the pet store refused to give me another. (Well, not my fault their products are defective.) I finally convinced them to exchange it for an infrared light, which exploded, destroying my fixture. Got a lower wattage one and a few months later, it blew out from normal wear and tear. I no longer use CHEs from the pet store I got them from. Now I'm going to get my lights from petmountain. They're so great on their prices and with low shipping, I couldn't ask for more of a bargain. I do most of my shopping for Melody on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom