cats and dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoCandy

Hey all, I'd like to move my beardies out of my room and to the living room where they'll receive more interaction with the whole household and possibly be happier with seeing everything. I do get them out almost every day however when I don't have them out I'd like them to still have visual stimulation (I think that's how people refer to it, if not I hope you guys know what I mean! lol) such as watching the tv like some people say their beardies love.

My concern though is we have 3 cats. Two of which are lazy and I'm not worried about, but the last one is really adventurous. I'm afraid she will jump onto the screen and lay there, and maybe break the screen and fall in. I'm VERY worried, though, about one of the tanks which does not have a screen top! I know it may not be suggested, but others have done it with no problem and Allistor never tries to get out (I don't think he can jump that high anyways).

I honestly don't think our cat would attack or harm the beardie, more so that she likes the heat of the lamp. She's gotten in there a few times when I wasn't looking, and I promptly got her out and told her no. Allistor had then looked more curious than anything, wasn't puffed up or black bearding.

But you can never really be sure what a cat might do, right? They're devious little things. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this kind of problem, and what they've done to resolve it? Or do you guys think it would just be safer to leave them in my room?
I was reading about some people putting tin foil around the tank (one is on a stand and the other is on the floor) which seemed to scare off the cat. What are some ideas you all have? Thanks!

PLEASE if you're going to tell me smack the cat or hit it with something, just don't even post. I did search this forum through Google and the threads I did find usually had some repulsive posts on how to abuse the cats. I don't condone animal abuse of any kind and won't hesitate to report you.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
scare the cat.

i think if you were to pick up your cat (or maybe even all of them) and simply put them into the tank, they may freak out over it and jump out. this might make them hesitant to climb back in at a later time. i don't know about your cats, but the ones i've had in the past would not have liked being put in a container of any kind.

have you introduced your cats to the beardies at all? there are videos on youtube of the cats just chilling with beardies. if they got used to each other you may not have a problem even if the cat did climb into the tank.

and laying on the screen will be a problem. you can try sticking a piece of wood over one side and get the cat used to laying on that instead of the screen.

GeckoCandy

Original Poster
Thanks for your help! That does sound like it could work (scaring the cat from getting into the tank). I can try that.

I'll also have to safely get them together for a bit and see how it goes. Allistor just started shedding recently so he'll have to wait but I will try it with Omega :)

FearTheBeard18

I saw on "It's me or the cat" or whatever that show is on discovery with Jackson Galaxy. In one episode he put this motion detector can that sprayed little bursts of air every time the cat where near the door to the owners bedroom (they were trying to keep him out). I guess the cat would eventually just avoid the area all together. Possibly putting one near the tank would work? I'm not sure as I've never owned a cat myself, but just something I saw on TV. Sorry if this doesn't help. :(

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
FearTheBeard18":24rbcgud said:
I saw on "It's me or the cat" or whatever that show is on discovery with Jackson Galaxy. In one episode he put this motion detector can that sprayed little bursts of air every time the cat where near the door to the owners bedroom (they were trying to keep him out). I guess the cat would eventually just avoid the area all together. Possibly putting one near the tank would work? I'm not sure as I've never owned a cat myself, but just something I saw on TV. Sorry if this doesn't help. :(

That is a good idea. Humane and safe for both creatures. And I've watched the show many times, even though I don't own a cat. I'm watching it so if I do own a cat I'll understand it's behavior. The show is called, "My Cat From Hell" LOL I like that name. :D
We do have a conure that bugs Nim from time to time but is too small to get inside the cage. Nim black bearded the conure once and is now just chill about it.

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
My cats are really good with Fluffy. Seven desperately wants to be her friend, so I watch him and remind him to be gentle. He likes to sit in the window with her and he'll follow her. He gives her kisses on the nose and hugs if she hasnt run off fast enough :) The other two will usually avoid her.

Like someone said, it depends on both. My cats are lovers and not much of hunters. Or anything else. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom