Catahoula (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinya

Hello! I'm Sinya and a relative newcomer to the beardie scene. I've kept reptiles my entire life - different lizards and turtles. I have a baby Cuban Knight Anole (also known as giant anoles) named Niko and recently decided to buy my first beardie. After looking through all the petstores in a 45 min range from my house - 7 believe it or not! - I settled on PETCO because they had the healthiest animals over all and also refuse to sell to people who have no idea what they are doing. (I watched them refuse a ball python to a mother and her son because they were just buying one because her son thought they were "cool" :roll: ) Anyways I got a baby beardie with beautiful coloring and named him Sabre. Unfortunately I noticed that something was off with Sabre and he was having weird tremors and a decreasing appetite. I took him back to PETCO and they had him scheduled for a vet check on Monday but he never made it. Sadly Sabre had a neurological problem and passed away on Sunday night, a few days after I got him.

Well after the death of my baby, Sabre, PETCO was extremely upset that I had to go through that only days after purchasing him and offered me my choice of their beardie babies as consolation. (Did I mention their customer service is excellent? The employee even cried when she told me about Sabre passing)

Although I'm still mourning Sabre, I did end up choosing a new baby and brought him home yesterday. I've named him Catahoula. (Cat-ah-Hoola) He is a beautiful little guy, albeit not as colorful as Sabre - but I have high hopes for him. Here are a few pics from when I was bringing him home. No tremors or decreased appetite with him! He's gobbled up crickets every time I've offered.

He Liked My Finger
DSC00765_zpsf00a4c20.jpg

DSC00767_zps4ae0b85f.jpg

DSC00768_zpsbb760c42.jpg

DSC00770_zps17f3314e.jpg

DSC00772_zps4e4aed11.jpg

In the transition cage while I was getting his ready
DSC00773_zpsc60930fb.jpg

And here is a picture of Sabre RIP
DSC00749_zpsb044858a.jpg

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Welcome :wave: I'm very sorry to hear of Sabre's passing. Catahoula is lovely. :D I wouldn't use loose bedding though. Baby beardies are like baby people and everything goes in the mouth :roll: You can try paper towels, shelf liner, repti carpet, tile and so on, so the baby doesn't get impacted :D

Sinya

Original Poster
morphmom":1jfozswo said:
Welcome :wave: I'm very sorry to hear of Sabre's passing. Catahoula is lovely. :D I wouldn't use loose bedding though. Baby beardies are like baby people and everything goes in the mouth :roll: You can try paper towels, shelf liner, repti carpet, tile and so on, so the baby doesn't get impacted :D

His cage actually has paper towels in it- as I said above, that was the transition cage in which he was only in for about ten minutes. But thank you very much! Glad to be on here

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Sinya":1yjriszg said:
that was the transition cage in which he was only in for about ten minutes.
Ah, I see! :D I misunderstood. I forgot how active babies can be. My 2yr old adult thinks the laundry basket is beardie jail! :shock: I put her in and she doesn't move! LOL! :lol: Perfect for keeping her in one place, but I'm not sure why she doesn't use the clothes to climb out! LOL! :lol:

thedragonkeeper

Hatchling Member
That's really sad, RIP Sabre...

I'm glad that your Petco has good customer service and all, but unfortunately there's a contagious disease in this part of Colorado, all Pet stores suck! Your new beardie is lovely, I can see a long lived passionate companion. :D

Sinya

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I'll keep posting updates and pictures as he grows. He's been quite wiggly today - running all around and chasing crickets. He starts to stick his tongue out at them and then changes his mind and runs away XD it's adorable. I made sure he ate tho, no worries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom