Cat got ahold of our Beardie, Spike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slm0729

First of all I want to say thank you so much for this forum!!

I came downstairs at 3a yesterday morning (Tuesday) to find our 6 mo old Beardie, Spike had gotten out of his new enclosure (or rather the cats had gotten in, we're not 100% sure but it has been fixed). I found him laying on the floor still breathing, with a puncture and bruising around his rib cage. I immediately washed him off in warm water and put him back in his enclosure with the heat on him, then took to your forum frantic for options. I wish we could take him to the vet, but $ is just too tight right now following my own personal medical bills (I'm so sorry, I feel so horrible that I can't get him there).

I did read where someone said to put triple antibiotic ointment on any wounds and that should keep any infections down, so I have done that yesterday and today. I also read where another member mentioned theirs was not eating following a similar attack and so I have periodically taken a syringe with water or a blended water/turkey/banana/strawberry combination and have managed to get him to take a little bit of that. Because he is not eating I have also misted him with warm water a couple of times/put him in a little dish with warm water to keep his hydration level up. He has spent most of his time sleeping and has moved very little (but he has moved), only to and from the basking light from time to time. I also check him periodically and clear any feces away from his body (has been very little). The color of his tail indicates stressed (obviously), but the only signs of trauma appear to be the rib cage.

Is there anything else that I could or should be doing that could help him??!!

He's my baby. I wish that I could do more, but I have spent much of yesterday and today next to him looking for signs of improvement and not wanting him to be alone.

85503-6002403828.jpg
85503-9288720497.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...as long as it doesn't get infected it should heal O.K. Keep his climbing branches low right now so he can't fall + injure it more. Add water to whatever you syringe feed him, remove the bowl as he won't likely drink from it. Only spray his snout , to give him a drink. You can also use raw honey on the wound [ not grocery store kind , but from health food store ] and then keep any loose crickets out of the tank that may attack his wound.

If it gets worse you may try to ask family/friends for a loan but I think it will heal O.K

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing! I agree, if it doesn't get infected, it should heal up just fine.
Is his beard dark at all? Do try to keep him warmer overnight in his tank, around 80 or so, just to help out his immune system right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

slm0729

Original Poster
The crickets was another thing I had read about in other posts and made sure there weren't any in his enclosure.

His beard was slightly darker, but not too dark. That seems to have faded back to his normal color though. Was so excited when I came downstairs this morning and he was sitting up looking around. He's basking and napping again, but seems to continue improvement. I will update everyone ?

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
That's good that it sounds like he is making a recovery!
Definitely find a way to lock your beardie's enclosure, though, if you haven't already. This is why cats and beardies do not mix together, sadly. :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad to hear that he's bouncing back already ! :) He'll probably get his appetite back soon as well. It sounds like the cat had just gotten ahold of him and was toying as they do before they mutilate their prey. I am a great cat lover but their instinct to torture/kill is the thing that drives me crazy, especially if you have other critters in the house.

slm0729

Original Poster
This is his enclosure:
85503-7570941937.jpg
I had it set up like Fort Knox. I remember that night when I said goodnight to him and turned off his lights though that he had curled up in a new place on the bottom half, in the top left corner where the power cords exit a small gap in the interior screen (behind the bars). The ONLY thing I can think that happened because the cords were pulled down a little further, was the cats saw he was there and then somehow (I still cannot picture how it happened), he got out (or a cat got their paw in there and hooked him) through the gap made larger by the cats. The thought of what he went through makes me sick to my stomach. The gap and area where the cords exit is the only place he could have gotten out and has all been fixed and reinforced BIG time!

I worked so hard to create an enclosure that would be safe, roomy and as comfortable/natural for him as possible and I feel like I failed him.

I am grateful though that the cats left him alone when they did and I am so grateful for this group. Thank you everyone!

syoung27

Hatchling Member
Well done on the enclosure! Hopefully the healing continues. Lots of smart people here I'm sure can help you continue healing the little guy if you keep them up to date.
I would only concern about the bacteria and risk of infection from a cat's mouth.
Luckily the puncture wasn't very deep I'm assuming! Probably some vital organs around that area.
Hopefully you can keep a door closed or ensure the cat never gets in there unsupervised. Cats are probably more dangerous than dogs for small prey animals like beardies.
Best of luck!
PS build me an enclosure :p

slm0729

Original Poster
Thank you! I actually used a rabbit hutch to build the enclosure.

The bacteria in the cat's saliva has been my biggest concern. Fortunately it appears that the puncture wound has already closed up and the bruising is fading. He's opening his eyes and looking around a little bit more, but is still very sleepy so I try to leave him alone except to give him water and clean any feces away. I'm also making sure the night time temp is a little bit higher than normal, as suggested.

slm0729

Original Poster
Although I mentioned it briefly, you can't see it in the pictures. When I built the enclosure (before assembling) I installed a screen on the inside of the enclosure. It sits about 1/4" inside the bars. I really didn't want to take any chances of the cats being able to get in there. The screen is tough so the cats can't get through the bars or the screen. The only vulnerable point was where the cords exit on the side.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
That's good if it closed up. More than likely if there was an infection it wouldn't close and would develop puss and such.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good grief, it is definitely Ft. Knox in disguise! LOL Wow, I can't believe an accident like that happened. Don't feel like you failed him, but I am so glad your cat behaved himself thankfully & didn't do much damage.
It sounds like he is going to fully recover & is already doing a lot better now! :D
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

slm0729

Original Poster
I am heartbroken to say that Spike passed away in his sleep last night. I'm at a loss for words ?

Thank you very much everyone for all of your help and kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom