Care, Housing and Gutloading Superworms & Dubias (inquiry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
So I've read a little bit about superworms, and I'm thinking about maybe going for a staple mix of phoenix worms and superworms. Smaug does enjoy her crickets but I truly despise keeping them. I can get past their smell, cleaning their enclosure every few days, and the daily feeding, but the noise drives me insane.

I've read that supers should be housed in a glass or plastic container that's at least 6" deep (vented lid or no lid). Some people say they use wheat bran as their bedding and food supply, while offering things like squash or carrots for hydration, also offering normal things for gut-loading purposes.

Smaug is about 15-16 months old. If I recall correctly (spreadsheet on a different computer), she was last measured at around 17-18" and weighing in at and holding around 454 grams. I don't think she's quite fully grown yet, but I've read that supers shouldn't be offered to dragons who aren't fully grown.

Thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that crickets are a huge pain. I wouldn't offer supers as a replacement staple though. I would (and did) switch to roaches which are much easier to care for. No noise or smell and they are MUCH hardier. I do keep supers to offer as an occasional treat. I keep them as you described. They're in a plastic bin about the size of a shoebox. They have a few inches of chow as a substrate (I get this in big bags from Lindasgonebuggie - most places that sell the worms will sell the chow for a few bucks). I have a couple of toilet paper tubes on top for them to climb around on and I put some veg scraps on top so they can get some hydration. That's usually the core/stem of the greens I feed to my dragon or some pieces of carrot which they seem to like. They're pretty hands off other than that. You don't need a top because they can't climb out unless they morph into beetles.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Cooper. I would love the idea of going with roaches, but they're so expensive. Now that Smaug is older and eating mostly veggies (and eating on her own finally, yay!), I think the idea of roaches is a easier to swallow since she isn't eating a crap ton of feeders every day. I heard that they aren't exactly easy to raise, but live for a long time, but are slow to grow.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Dubia roaches are pretty easy to raise. (I have way to many at this point.) and would make a better staple than super worms. Supers have too much fat for a frequent feeder IMO.

For supers I keep my breeding colony on a soil mix (organic topsoils, coco coir and sand) with wood/cork bark and maple leaves and it does really well. I feed them extra produce, cooking scraps and occasion bits of meat/chicken bones.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the rely Tater. I am willing for suggestions regarding where to buy and how to keep/care for dubias as well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Roaches are more expensive up front but once a colony is established they are pretty self sustaining. I spent about $60 for a mix pack a few years ago and haven't spent much on them since. I feed them the veg scraps from what I feed my dragon and some occasional protein scraps and orange slices. If you spend a bit more and get some adults your colony will get started more quickly.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've certainly spent more on her food when she was young...she was a PIG, eating 80-100 crickets a day. I was buying 1000 crickets every week. Where do you buy your dubias from if you don't mind me asking? I would love advice on what to buy and how to start everything off to establish a colony.

Don't they also require a heat source?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I got a mix pack from ABDragons and they sent around 500 or so medium dubias (no adults) and saw a new generation appear after about 5 months. If you want the colony to establish quickly I'd buy some adults in about a 3 to 1 or so female to male ratio. This is a good guide for general care of dubias. It's not necessary to have heat but it's helpful if their frass/substrate is kept warm in the 80s or 90s they will replicate more quickly. http://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom