Cantalope rind :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Gah!
Im sorry if this is the innapropriate forum, but I need a quickie answer to know if this is serious or not.

I was sat on the floor trying to feed Billy cantalope melon but because it was so juicey he kept lunging at it and it slipping out from his mouth and he was getting upset.
Being a genius I thought I would cut a thin slice out, cut the pieces nearly out but hanging onto the rind by a cm or so, so when he grabbed the fleshy fruit it would come right off but would give him a little resistance so would allow him to actually grab the fruit.

Well it worked for the first bite, then the second bite Bilyl thought the rind looked tastier so attacked it. I got half out of his mouth but he swallowed a good 2 inches of rind.
Its a small cantalope melon so the rind is pretty tough.

Is he going to be alright? Can he digest or pass it without trauma?
I gave him some olive oil right afterwards and set him out to bask.

For those of you who dont know Billy he is a beardie I rescued from a store last week (he was so hungry he was hunting and eating his own woodchips).
I managed to disimpact him of all the woodchips and days later I do this.
Im so worried Im going to have severely stressed his digestive tract again?

Im in a real state worrying so Id appriciate honest answers.

Holly

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
darn! It's good he's so feisty after just being rescued but I hope he's OK! I'll be watching for answers and updates, and crossing my fingers for you! Don't beat yourself up you're a REALLY good slave *hugs*

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Well, Holly, I guess you won't have trouble getting Billy to eat. I wish my girls would have an appetite half as good as Billy does. I'm having trouble getting both of them to eat greens. Zoom hasn't even eaten superworms in 3 days.

I don't know from personal experience wether the cantalope rind will cause problems, but my thinking is if he's o.k. after eating all those wood chips, he will pass the rind fine. I just hope he doesn't want to eat them again. I have read that some beardies will even eat human "junk" food.

Lori

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
The rind is digestible for humans, so Billy should be OK. It might give him a bit of an upset tummy, but nothing more serious. As others have said, if he can pass a wood chip, he'll have no troubles with a piece of fruit rind. :D

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Oh thank god.
I was so upset with myself.

Yes it was the outside rind. He just went for it like a rabid dog.
He had his oil last night and Im goin to take him for a wamr bath and a tummy rub now.

Thanks for all your help guys.
(As usual!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom