Cant Wait... Excited xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoloChez

Right so i went to this reptile shop i heard about in newent, not too far from where i live :D
I heard they are good so thought i would check it out since i'm getting 2 new baby beardies :D
There was so many cool reptiles, the place is called Rainforest Reptiles if you live in gloucestershire then i suggest you go on down and ceck it out, They have so much too choose from.
I'm getting a 48"x24"x24" viv with set-up, only down side is that it comes with repti glo, which i will get a repti sun 10.0 before purchasing my 2 new baby females, they are citrus x gold, some already showing nice colours and are eating greens :D Could someone post some pictures of what the citrus x gold beardies look like as they grow on if possible :D Cheers
So i'm going to collect them in about 3/4 weeks time when we can guarentee the sex :D
These are going to be my first reptiles and i cannot wait :D I've been researching and thanks to this website and you guys i know so much already. Thank you :D
I know i'm going to get comments about housing them together, i don't wanna hear it because tbh i have a back up plan at the ready :D

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I think it's wonderful that you will be getting two beardies! :D

I don't understand though....WHY....with all of the information you have got, you would even consider housing them together? Not to be rude....but does your back up plan involve the extra money you will need to take one of them to the vet when something does go wrong? I'm sorry....I guess I don't quite get your way of thinking!

That's like someone putting a small child in a car with no carseat and saying "Well...I think I'll wait until I get in an accident, then my back up plan is to use a carseat next time!

I am a little thrown off by this and will probably be told by a mod I am being too harsh! It's not like you came on here asking would it be okay to house two beardies together....you are on here telling us this is your plan!

I hope for the sake of those two beardies you are about to get that you will reconsider the idea of housing them together!

PoloChez

Original Poster
I have been told by many and people in the reptile shop i am buying from that it would be fine to house 2 female beardies together from the same clutch in a big enclosure with two of most things, but at the first sign of fighting, considerable size difference or fighting to separate them :?

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I agree, I said the same thing when I got my first beardies (both girls) and they lived happily together for a year, until I came home one day to find one of my beardies with her arm ripped off. I was gone for 15 minutes buying milk...they had never acted as if they would do that. DONT DO IT! JUST GET A SECOND ENCLOSURE! The vet bill was 700 dollars (and I am a vet tech, i get about 50% off) and on top of that I had to immediatly buy a second enclosure. We dont all say to house them apart for fun. We really mean house them apart, or I GUARANTEE we will see a post from you in the ER section that says "My beardie just ripped off my other beardies arm/leg/tail...help!"
Reptile stores ARE SELLING REPTILES! of course they want you to get two...and the people on here have a million times more experience with beardies than the reptile guy at the pet store. Forgive me but they act like they know it all...they dont. Im a Certified Veterinary Technician and I work in reptiles. Im a trained medical professional and I SAY DONT DO IT!
Youre doing everything else right...just do this one right too...and you will have 2 very happy beardies.
TRUST US! We want you and your new babies to be happy and healthy.
That being said, I cant wait to see your babies when you get them.
Citrus babies tend to look more normal as juvies and as they grow the get their yellows. Im sure they will be BEAUTIFUL!
Aaron

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi and welcome. I know that in Europe many do keep multiples together, but as the above poster said, why take chances ? I would really suggest that you invest or build a second viv, just for one individual dragon. Even the ladies are territorial and can attack another at any unguarded moment. I personally have two that suffered attacks, and would love to help you NOT have to deal with this and your babies NOT have to be watched 24/7 just in case. If you can use a power saw, hammer, screw driver, you can build quite a lovely viv, and for very little. This way you can be creative, and customize a viv just for the sweet baby you plan to get. It doesn't cost all that much either. Less than 100 pds.
Here is a picture of one I did, and it cost me American $125.

IMG_0033.jpg

Framed out.

IMG_0036.jpg

Second level and lighting, fully painted and sealed in, tile grouted in after cut to size.

IMG_0042_1.jpg

Fully functioning with dragon installed.

You can frame it out and finish it in a weekend, letting things air out and seal in for several days.

Many of us can assist you in building, over in the DIY forum, so please do plan on separating from the start, and save your self and your precious babies harm.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I strongly agree with the others do not...please do not house 2 together. I'm sorry that so many people think that the pet stores advise or example they set is correct. When in fact it is far from. This is coming from another member that listened to them in the beginning until I understood this........Pet stores are in the business to make $$$ Not to house precious pets or teach someone how to house properly or care for in that matter. Of course they want you to think that housing 2 together is fine because then they can make 2 sales not just one. Not only that but if they are able to sell you a male and a female chances are they might get to buy your babies for dirt cheap. Please don't give into the pet store balarky(BS).

I housed my beardies together for a few years an even though I feel to be one of the fortunate ones as I had no deaths or visible injuries I still realize now how very wrong it was. Beardies are truly solitary creatures when you force two solitaray creates to live together you are causeing stress to them regardless of what you may think. The stress can not always be seen immediately or atleast we don't see the stress because we don't understand it. But stress kills beardies just the same as if they were to fight. Stress causes coccidia levels to rocket sky high. Which in return makes your beardie subceptible to all kinds of illnesses. It's just not fair to them to force them to live together when even in the wild they would not. Babies hatch with encoded knowledge on what they need to do to survive. When they hatch in the wild the first thing they do is get the heck away from their clutchmates. They are loners/solitary until it is time to mate at which time once the mating ritual is over they return to their own territory. I find them to be very amazing creatures an I would never intentionally impose stress on any of mine. So being told the things that have been said here the ball is now in your hands. You can either get just one, or 2 with 2 seperate enclosures, or you can let us say later down the road we told you so.
What we have told you is only in the best interest of the beardies an your feelings. The members here share our experiences openly so that other do not have to have the same heart breaking experiences. We only say this out of the kindness of our hearts if we didn't care we wouldn't have bothered to reply.

I'm excited for you too.....but I truly hope you either decide on 1 beardie or double the enclosures.

PoloChez

Original Poster
Ok guys thanks for all the replies :D
I think i am going to still get two but stack the enclosures :D
Or possibly get just the one :? Not really to keen on that though.
Thanks

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I know the feeling :) I just got 2 babies too...its so hard to get just 1. Im glad youre taking the advice, you really will be so much happier. Good luck and make sure to get us some pics :) we love them here
Aaron

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Thank you for listening to what we had to say. You will be very happy you did!

I apologize for all of us who posted if we were too harsh on you. We don't mean to come off that way....we just happen to be very concerned and passionate about the lives of our little bearded friends.

Whether you decide on one or two beardies....you will love them dearly and understand why we are so addicted to them!

Good Luck and please do post pics of your babies when you get them!

Dawn :D

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Any time...we really all are nice people, we want whats best...sorry if I was a bit mean sounding...Good luck!
Aaron

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Oh yes, we are the sweetest, most lovely people around ! I can help you out with a stackable too ! I started to do that, but I broke my hip last summer and getting down on the floor and up again was a challenge, so I decided to do what the photos show. I will be working on a second similar viv for Gemini this month. I might even have to do a third for Yardley.

Yardley and china cabinet retro:
TheCastle4-13-09.jpg

Today:
IMG_0046.jpg

His Majesty Bearding and shedding !
IMG_0047.jpg

Gemini in Orions' 55:
IMG_0045.jpg

The close up:
IMG_0044.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
rin0425":5d4ff said:
Any time...we really all are nice people, we want whats best...sorry if I was a bit mean sounding...Good luck!
We really are....:love5: An I'm sorry if my first post seemed a bit harsh....I just love these little creatures and have spent alot of time on this site to learn everything I can about them. We were just trying to save you any heartaches. :wink: Hope you understand. :)

Stackable enclosures is a great idea. :wink:
I don't have the enclosed condo's rather the open top viv's but I have stacked mine 2 high as well.
BTW I have 8 enclosures with 7 normal beardies and Zak-n-Wheezie 2-headed beardie(s). Unfortunately I do have Z&W housed together as I have no choice but it makes me very sad that they have to live this way.

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I bet zak and wheezie like eachother in a way most beardies dont...i mean,they DO share 90% of their bodies! One of the doctors I work with brought me an article she found about them...i said, Oh I know, I check on them almost every day, their mom Barbara is great...she looked at me like I was crazy. I love those boys. Sorry for the tangent!
Aaron

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
PoloChez":cad60 said:
I have been told by many and people in the reptile shop i am buying from that it would be fine to house 2 female beardies together from the same clutch in a big enclosure with two of most things, but at the first sign of fighting, considerable size difference or fighting to separate them :?

I understand that you may have already decided to separate your upcoming babies (yeah!). But just in case you change your mind or start thinking that maybe you'll house them together for a bit and separate them later, I would just like to add that one of my babies (6 mo female) is one that I purchased FROM a pet shop and when I bought her she ALREADY had one foot missing and part of her tail. So it doesn't matter how old they are or what the circumstances are, attacks from others can happen. I would imagine that your reptile shop is not displaying the beardies they house together that have been attacked and I imagine they are probably not trying to sell them either. Most people new to reptiles will not buy "defective" pets, which is why these are usually not on display. Sorry for my rant. I just wanted to point out that the possibility of an attack can happen at any time.

Congrats on your upcoming additions and we all commend you on all of your research PRIOR to bringing them home :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom