Can't tell if my Dragon is brumating. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

19nick93

Hatchling Member
Hi guys, so my 7 month old beardie has been very lethargic lately, she is 16 inches long and weighs 346 grams. She has always had a big appetite for both her veggies and insects. For over a month now she has been hiding under her log literally all day, or under her basking spot in the sleeping position with her eyes open. My main question is, how can I tell if she's completely done brumating? For example, the past 3 days she hasn't come out from her log. But I went to check on her a minute ago and she seems very active. She is perked up on her log between her basking spot and her hide. As soon as I think she's active, there will be a few days where she goes under her log again. Here's a picture of her a few minutes ago. It's frustrating because she's active, then the next moment she's lethargic. She hasn't lost any weight by the way.

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/19nick93z/media/20150918_171900_zpsadhhpows.jpg.html

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, this is the time of year when beardies do tend to slow down & not bask as much so it would help if we could ask some questions to help rule things out first. She is a very pretty girl & looks very healthy.

I noticed in the picture that she looks very far from the UVB light. Are you using a Repti-Sun 10.0 T8 or T5 (high output) bulb? What is the distance when measured from the UVB tube to her where she is laying now?

What is the temperature right under the basking bulb and what type of thermometer are you using?

Is she active when she is out of her enclosure?

19nick93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you diamc. I am using a T8. It's 11 inches from her basking spot and 15 inches from her hide at the front. Which is why I have the reflective paper behind it. The temp is 108-110 under her basking spot I am using a digital probe thermometer. Yes she is active lately so I offered her some food about 3 days ago and she ate some roaches and crickets. But she won't poop and hasn't pooped in 3 days. She is too big to be put in the sink because she'll jump out and my bath water is very hard and is almost black, (due to a lot of sand build up in it) I have my own well.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for answering. When using a T8, the distance to the beardie should be within 6 to 8". I wonder if the basking temp is a little too hot for her liking. The 108 to 110 basking temp is actually for a little baby & I've noticed over the many years that I've had beardies, that when they are 7 months old or older, they won't bask if the temps are over 105.

Have you tried putting the 1/2 log directly under the UVB and pushed up against her log to see if she would be comfortable like that, right underneath the vent in the back?

Good that you are using a probe thermometer. When you check the readings, is the probe actually touching (resting on) her log for 45 min to an hr before getting the final reading?

Too bad about your water. So you're not able to give her a bath at all or are you using bottled water? When they get dehydrated, they can get very lethargic. Will she drink water off her nose?

19nick93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I can try moving her log to the back but she keeps jumping and climbing on the vents and gets stuck whenever she has a platform to launch herself off from. Yes the probe sits there for a good hour or so. I'll definitely try switching the basking bulb to a lower wattage. She doesn't seem to be in brumation though because she stays perched up on her log at the front of the enclosure for the whole day now. Although I haven't been able to feed her because her body is not warm enough for her to digest the food, since she won't bask I'm afraid she will get sick since the food just sits in her stomach and doesn't digest properly due to her not basking. Dunno what I should do... Lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is there any way you could go to a lower wattage basking bulb and then prop up the log or use another one so that she can climb & lay on it? They love to do that.

As you know, it's important to get her to bask.

Are you able to give her a bath somehow?

19nick93

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I have a lower wattage bulb in there now, a 38W to be exact. I'll try to put the log under her basking spot to encourage her to bask. Yes I cleaned out a bigger/deeper sink in my laundry room where she can run around in and the water is actually clear. She seems to only poop in her bath though after about 20 minutes of her being in it.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. Yes, sometimes it can take that long for them to clean out. Rubbing the right side from armpit to vent can help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom