cant keep tank warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktipit

my beardie is in a 44 gal tank and it just won't get warm. temp stays about 80 no matter what I do. right now I have 3 lamps on and a floor heater. when I was in an apartment I could get the tank warmer, but now I am in a house and the tank is just not warm enough. any suggestions?

drakedragon

Juvie Member
ktipit":1n7q282g said:
my beardie is in a 44 gal tank and it just won't get warm. temp stays about 80 no matter what I do. right now I have 3 lamps on and a floor heater. when I was in an apartment I could get the tank warmer, but now I am in a house and the tank is just not warm enough. any suggestions?

well what do you use to measure the temps, and what bulbs are you using? my bearded dragon lives in a 3ft viv and all i use for its basking light is a 40 watt light bulb, and its temps are 110 on the basking spot

ktipit

Original Poster
i have 3 thermometers --one on each end of tank & the 3rd on the back wall of the tank. the lighting I use are 2 white lights (labeled as light & heat--I think both are 75w & one red light/heat that is 75w. I have not directly measured the basking spot temp.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
If they are dial/strip thermometers, they are really really bad. They can be 20F or more off! You need to get at temp gun or a digital thermometer with probe. Also, don't use under tank heat pads - they can cause nasty burns. Finally, turn off the red bulb - it can really interfere with their sleep patterns. Nothing is needed at night unless it gets below 65F.

Can you go over your whole set up (sometimes a couple wrong things indicate that other things need to be fixed as well)?

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

XiDiS

Juvie Member
ktipit":3c5hs806 said:
i have 3 thermometers --one on each end of tank & the 3rd on the back wall of the tank. the lighting I use are 2 white lights (labeled as light & heat--I think both are 75w & one red light/heat that is 75w. I have not directly measured the basking spot temp.

We didnt ask how many you had and where you have them.... what KIND are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom